Is ayone in Maryland?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Pir_*

Guest_Pir_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:14 PM

Hi, I'm Pir, and I'm new to the forum. I'm 14, and I'm going to do a native fish tank. I want to have species that I have collected from near my house. I'm thinking I'll get a 20 Long or 30g tank, and have Greenside, Tesselated, or Banded darters (the latter 2 are supposedly found in my county). I live 10 minutes away from where the Maryland darter was last seen. I also want to have some blacknose dace, which I can find practically in my back yard. Though I am not new to tropical fish, I am new to natives. I know very little about there care and not a lot about collecting either. I was wondering if anyone was going to be collecting and would let me tag along, or if someone wanted to come collecting with me. I wouldn't be able to do it until it's a little warmer and I have a tank set up, I'm just gauging interest.

Thanks.

#2 Guest_Pir_*

Guest_Pir_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:49 PM

After doing some research on this interactive map: http://mdimap.towson.edu/streamhealth/ , I think I want to collect in Broad Creek. There are madtoms, 3 darter species, and some other cool fish. I am familiar with the boy scout camp up there, and I'm sure it would be easy to get permission. I'm not sure if you'd even need it.

#3 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:56 PM

I currently live in wilmington DE, not to far from you. If you'd be interested in poking around the Susquehanna and it's tribs in PA you're welcome to come along sometime. I know some good spots.

#4 Guest_Pir_*

Guest_Pir_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2010 - 06:15 PM

Ok, thanks. Broad Creek is a tributary to the Susquehanna as well, just a little more South. Actually a very pretty area up there. What kind of fish are you catching in these tributaries?

#5 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:19 AM

There are actually many places with public access in your area to streams. Broad creek in the boy scout camp is actually not the best place to collect fish. The lake has a bad carp problem and is very turbid even during droughts. The creek immediately below the lake is quite muddy and its quite treacherous wading.

#6 Guest_Pir_*

Guest_Pir_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2010 - 02:39 PM

There are actually many places with public access in your area to streams. Broad creek in the boy scout camp is actually not the best place to collect fish. The lake has a bad carp problem and is very turbid even during droughts. The creek immediately below the lake is quite muddy and its quite treacherous wading.

Oh, OK. Do you have any other suggestions?

Edited by Pir, 23 December 2010 - 02:39 PM.

#7 Guest_dmarkley_*

Guest_dmarkley_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:34 PM

Oh, OK. Do you have any other suggestions?

I'm not far from you being up here just west of Lancaster!

Dean

#8 Guest_pjc237_*

Guest_pjc237_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:43 PM

Matt, wasn't there a second order trib to that Broad Creek mainstem below the dam? I thought we had two sites, one on Broad, and one on a direct tributary in 2008. The smaller site had 4 darter species I think too and would probably be a lot easier to collect in than below the dam.

#9 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:52 AM

Yes, there was a second order tributary to Broad Creek below Aaron Strauss Dam that had at least darter species maybe four.

#10 Guest_kzimmerman_*

Guest_kzimmerman_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:01 PM

Theres actually quite a few of us in the maryland, virginia, delware, pennsylvania area. I remember Broad Creek. I got tapped for the order of the arrow there!
There are a ton of streams. Just pick one and try it, just make sure your not trespassing, or in a stocked trout stream.

#11 Guest_travishaas_*

Guest_travishaas_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:39 PM

I live in New Orleans, but am frequently in Baltimore to visit my girlfriend. I'll be there again in May. We're thinking of going out for a little Maryland-area seining on May 27th. If you're interested in getting together then, let me know.

Travis

#12 Guest_BSPhotography_*

Guest_BSPhotography_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:29 PM

I'm further south from you, but I'm in Columbia/Laurel area. Most of my sampling is in the area 20 miles from my studio in Laurel, but I will be doing more sampling next year if I can get a hold of a good trailer to bring my studio with me to photograph the fish on the road, and lessen their stress by shooting waterside more frequently.

As far as Broad Creek is concerned, there's the branch from Lake Strauss that often times has carp in it, but from when I worked at Saffron, I know there's a second branch that comes down below the shotgun range that has a lot of diversity though it's been years since I've done any sampling. Also Broad Creek at the top end of the lake has a good population of different minnow, sunfish, bass, and more, you just have to get in and sample (with the permission of BAC, BSA and the Scout reservation of course). Look in the deep pockets and undercut bank areas. They are there, they just like to hide sometimes.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users