Photo

Scientific Journal Notations

6 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:03 PM

I am doing a little investigation into some of the fishes in Georgia and am looking at Chris Scharpf's Checklist as published in AC... specifically at the notations after the name of the fish... so for yellowfin shiner it is Notropis lutipinnis (Jordon & Brayton 1878)... but for the silverjaw minnow it says Notropis buccatus Cope 1865.

So what is the significance of the parantheses?

Probably something I should know already, but not that familiar with all the notations.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2010 - 06:35 PM

Parentheses indicate that the authors who described that species did not use that combination, i.e. it was initially assigned to a different genus. Jordan and Brayton described the yellowfin shiner as Hydrophlox lutipinnis. If that combination ever comes back into use, then it would be Hydrophlox lutipinnis Jordan and Brayton 1878. Likewise, when N. buccatus is treated as a species of Ericymba, it is Ericymba buccata (Cope 1865).

#3 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:08 PM

I think that the citation for the silverjaw minnow you mention is a minor typo, it should have parentheses around the authority and date.

#4 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:55 PM

Oh, yeah, I think you're right. By the way, southern populations of N. buccatus have been described as a new species, Notropis amplamala: http://www.auburn.ed...20amplamala.pdf

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:37 PM

Thanks for the clarification... and if there was an error on the one citation it was probably mine... I was just wanting to understand the purpose or meaning of the paratheses... at least right now... I may have other questions as I get deeper in to this... and you have now clarified it... it is just about original designations and changed designations... thanks...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:41 PM

Oh, yeah, I think you're right. By the way, southern populations of N. buccatus have been described as a new species, Notropis amplamala: http://www.auburn.ed...20amplamala.pdf

Thanks for the pdf... so if I read this right, there are now no Silverjaw Minnows in Georgia... they are all Longjaw Minnows Notropis amplamala Pera & Armbruster 2006.

#7 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:01 PM

That's the conclusion of that paper. I don't know how widely accepted this change is.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users