New Project

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:32 PM

It is what I like to call an aquarium topper. It is similiar to what they have for hamsters that you can put on top of a 10 gallon, except it is nicer and made for fish. I was inspired by the idea that Bowfin require air to breath but I didn't want to drop the water level, so I instead am making an extension to the top of the tank. I will post pictures as soon as possible.

#2 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:08 PM

Great idea, here' an old thread about toppers. http://forum.nanfa.o...h__1#entry67263

#3 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:43 PM

Here are some pictures. This is on a 20 gallon long and it is 4 inches tall. There will be some more chanes that I will talk about as they come, so I'll let you guys and gals use your imagination until then. I also have some pictures of driftwood that will be in the tank and on the wall of the topper. In one of the pictures I show a small gap by the hood which will be filled.

Attached Files

• Attached File  051.JPG   1.5MB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  052.JPG   1.31MB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  053.JPG   1.36MB   0 downloads

#4 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:47 PM

Here are some pictures. This is on a 20 gallon long and it is 4 inches tall. There will be some more chanes that I will talk about as they come, so I'll let you guys and gals use your imagination until then. I also have some pictures of driftwood that will be in the tank and on the wall of the topper. In one of the pictures I show a small gap by the hood which will be filled.

So my stupid computer won't let me add the pictures of the driftwood or the pictures with the hood on, but I think you get the idea.

#5 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:31 PM

So my stupid computer won't let me add the pictures of the driftwood or the pictures with the hood on, but I think you get the idea.

It is because you have reached your forum quota. Try shrinking your photos and you'll be able to post more.

#6 Guest_CreekStomper_*

Guest_CreekStomper_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:17 AM

Looks great. These are very common among turtle keepers who want to use the full potential of their aquariums without allowing escape. If you do a google search for "Above Tank Basking Area" or "ABTA" you might come up with some pretty nice ones.

Josh

#7 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:27 PM

Looks great. These are very common among turtle keepers who want to use the full potential of their aquariums without allowing escape. If you do a google search for "Above Tank Basking Area" or "ABTA" you might come up with some pretty nice ones.

Josh

Haha, thanks to that post I now want a turtle!

#8 Guest_CreekStomper_*

Guest_CreekStomper_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:16 AM

I recently took a couple minutes to whip up a temporary ATBA for my Chrysemys picta marginata (Midland Painted Turtle) and he loves the hell out of it. Included is a picture over the side of him chilling on his makeshift basking area.

Attached File  ATBA.jpg   247.65KB   0 downloads

And here's a link to a very well known thread for a very well made ATBA. It's a more aesthetically pleasing version, more suited for displays.

The idea is catching on very quick in quite a few hobbyist communities where people are realizing that if you pay for a certain amount of gallons, you should find a way to use those gallons without compromising the health and happiness of your specimens.

Josh

#9 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:10 PM

I recently took a couple minutes to whip up a temporary ATBA for my Chrysemys picta marginata (Midland Painted Turtle) and he loves the hell out of it. Included is a picture over the side of him chilling on his makeshift basking area.

Attached File  ATBA.jpg   247.65KB   0 downloads

And here's a link to a very well known thread for a very well made ATBA. It's a more aesthetically pleasing version, more suited for displays.

The idea is catching on very quick in quite a few hobbyist communities where people are realizing that if you pay for a certain amount of gallons, you should find a way to use those gallons without compromising the health and happiness of your specimens.

Josh

That's one nice looking tank and that turtle also looks very happy! I've made quite a bit of progress in the last few days and I will try to post some pictures as soon as possible.

#10 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:09 PM

So today I foamed the tank, and it's looking great! Once we clean it up I will take pictures.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users