New member from The Netherlands ;)

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Michael_*

Guest_Michael_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:17 PM

Hello All,

I'm a new member here on the forum and i'm intressed in fish from North America, i have since a few month's a group Rainbow darters. and i was reading here about tankmates for them.
I want to make a biotope tank for my rainbow darters.

I'm also active on Cichlidforums because i keep also Cichlids and other fish from Central America ;)

Here some pictures from my Rainbows.

Posted Image
Pair ;)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Greetings
Michael

#2 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:45 PM

Welcome :)

Edit: your darters look a little skinny. What are you feeding them?

Edited by EricaWieser, 05 January 2011 - 05:45 PM.

#3 Guest_Michael_*

Guest_Michael_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:56 PM

Hello Erica,

I give them as food:

- Artemia
- Krill
- Mysis
- Daphina
- White musquito larves.

And dryfood (Flakes, and pellets)

I feed them once a day, they are in a tank with a temperature around 8C so i don't want to feed them to much, because this will waste the waterparameters and they eat not much at this temperature.. When the temperature is higher they eat more and have fat belly's. :cool2:

Are there other types of food with i can give them?

Edited by Michael, 05 January 2011 - 05:56 PM.

#4 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:24 PM

They look like the rainbows we're pulling out of the Paint Rock and Flint Rivers now, they only get bulky at breeding time in March/April.

#5 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:49 PM

Are there other types of food with i can give them?

They'd eat california blackworms too Picture: http://gallery.nanfa...resize.jpg.html
but I guess with water that cold they don't eat much.

#6 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:03 PM

Michael, did you adjust the hue/contrast on those photos? If not, you have some excellent coloration on those. Most rainbows are more orange, yours appear to be nearly red. I'm curious as to where you got your stock. Did you buy them or where you fortunate enough to be able to collect them yourself? How many do you have and what is your tank size? Your fish will also LOVE bloodworms (red mosquito larva).

#7 Guest_reebok_*

Guest_reebok_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:58 PM

Welcome Michael !
Europe-based members on the NANFA forum are few in number! The darters are gorgeous and completely unavailable in the UK. Are you keeping any other North American species?

#8 Guest_Michael_*

Guest_Michael_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:33 PM

Michael, did you adjust the hue/contrast on those photos? If not, you have some excellent coloration on those. Most rainbows are more orange, yours appear to be nearly red. I'm curious as to where you got your stock. Did you buy them or where you fortunate enough to be able to collect them yourself? How many do you have and what is your tank size? Your fish will also LOVE bloodworms (red mosquito larva).

Hello Jblaylock,

I made this pictures with a flash so the colors are more intense than they are in real, but in real they are also very nice colored.
I got these darters from Ruinemans www.ruinemans.com they had these from a importshipment from North America.
These darters are in a 120cm tank with much flow and stones. I have 3 males and 4 females of them and they swim as a group true the whole tank.
My idea was to give them a new tank this summer, with some more other fish from North America, i was thinking about this fish.
Posted Image
Chrosomus erythrogaster
I can get these here by Ruinemans :cool2:

#9 Guest_Michael_*

Guest_Michael_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:36 PM

Welcome Michael !
Europe-based members on the NANFA forum are few in number! The darters are gorgeous and completely unavailable in the UK. Are you keeping any other North American species?

Hello Reebok,

I don't have much other North American fish, but i want to have more of them ;) such as the Longearsun fish.
This is one of my wishlist species.. i know a source of them in Germany at the moment.
Posted Image
They are nice fish.. and i want to keep them soon.. i heard that these fish also live in Mexico so i can keep them also with some Mexican fish :mrgreen:

I heard from some UK friends that it's more difficult there to get fish from North America. some fish are also not permitted in the UK?

#10 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:54 PM

I don't blame the UK for being strict on importing North American sunfishes, those species would naturalize very quickly in the UK given a chance. I assume you mean that the fish in the photo in your previous post is a dace, not a darter?

#11 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:29 AM

Michael--excellent looking Rainbows. The Southern redbelly dace would make a good choice for your darter tank. They are found living with the darters in the wild.

The health of your darters looks fine. I think some of us get used to the sight of overfed/fat fish in the home/aquarium trade. Even though the fish are "American" they don't get McDonalds food twice a week like people do and therefore remain streamline and fit.
Nick L.

#12 Guest_reebok_*

Guest_reebok_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:49 AM

Hello Reebok,

I don't have much other North American fish, but i want to have more of them ;) such as the Longearsun fish.
This is one of my wishlist species.. i know a source of them in Germany at the moment.
Posted Image
They are nice fish.. and i want to keep them soon.. i heard that these fish also live in Mexico so i can keep them also with some Mexican fish :mrgreen:

I heard from some UK friends that it's more difficult there to get fish from North America. some fish are also not permitted in the UK?

That's quite right. The UK government body DEFRA has produced a list of 'restricted' species that are illegal to keep without a licence, based on the likelihood of the species being able to establish itself in UK wates, breed there or possibly introduce disease. On the list are all Lepomis species, Chrosomus (Phoxinus) erythrogaster, Rhinichthys atratulus and a number of others. However, there are many, many more US fish that are not restricted (probably due to lack of information about them) but intil very recently they have simply not been available in the UK.
Interesting that you received yours from Ruinemans. This first import into Europe has caused great excitement here, many North American fish have been made available for the first time, albeit they are expensive. I myself purchased Lythrurus umbratilis and Notropis lutipinnis (Redfin and Yellowfin shiners) and have ordered a group of Rainbow darter, Etheostoma caeruleus. Exciting if impoverished times! You will find a wealth of information is available on this forum.
My Dutch friend Mazurel is also a contributor on the forum, he has also purchased fish from the Ruinemans import.
Let us all know how you go on with the darters, especially if you breed them. Veel geluck !

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users