Finally

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:39 PM

Well after 2 years of searching I have finally gotten a native fish (not of Ontario, but still a NA native). I was at Big Al's the other night and I looked in the ghost shrimp tank, sure enough there was a Swamp Darter in there. After some talking and offering to buy it, I ended up getting the darter for free. It's wolfing down freeze dried bloodworms, and it only took about a day for it to be eating and moving around wherever it decides. Right now it is in a 5 gallon tank with my Chocolate Gouramis, it will be in the 20 gallon back in my room in Lindsay for the start of 2nd semester on Monday morning.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:52 PM

Congrats on your find! I have gotten a few of these from the shrimp tanks around here, and the look just like yours... rather greem, very alert, and boy yes they know how to eat... I am beinnging to fins out that they do not seem to compete as well as other darters for food (at least my recent experience) but having a couple in the bottom of a small tank is a nice touch.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:33 PM

Good deal. :D/ I have one I found in a shrimp tank too. I've had him now for 2 years. Loads of personality in a tiny little package. I can't help but wonder why they aren't more popular in the trade. :-k :?: :-k

#4 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:29 PM

I have one that I picked up from my LFS also. I see them there very often. I've often wondered where they go. I will see one and go back a week+ later and it will be gone. I guess they could die, but they are fairly hardy, or get bought.

#5 Guest_njJohn_*

Guest_njJohn_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:29 PM

Nice, looks a tad more colorful than my tesselated. I alwys check the shrimp, goldfsh and minnow tanks for strays. Haven't found one yet. Good luck with yours.

#6 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:45 PM

nj keep looking, eventually there will be one for the taking :cool2:

#7 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:47 PM

Update: darter is doing well, has developed the pattern of swimming in a "0" along the glass in the corner of the aquarium in order to grab my attention to show that it's hungry. I did manage a bit of luck and had it swim in front of the camera, stop, and stay still for enough time for me to slip my finger on the camera, focus, and snap a pic of it. It's approx. 40mm FL at this point, and fat from the freeze dried bloodworms.
Posted Image

#8 Guest_wargreen_*

Guest_wargreen_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:35 AM

[quote name='panfisherteen' timestamp='1302810420' post='87873']
Update: darter is doing well, has developed the pattern of swimming in a "0" along the glass in the corner of the aquarium in order to grab my attention to show that it's hungry. I did manage a bit of luck and had it swim in front of the camera, stop, and stay still for enough time for me to slip my finger on the camera, focus, and snap a pic of it. It's approx. 40mm FL at this point, and fat from the freeze dried bloodworms.
Posted Image
[/quote

Good picture!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users