Fish store specializing in FL-caught exotics?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_DIfishhead_*

Guest_DIfishhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:01 AM

A few years ago I came across a FL company that specialized in selling only locally-caught freshwater exotic tropicals.
Does anyone know the name of the outfit? and are they still in operation?
Thanks!

#2 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:50 PM

I would discourage commercialization of exotics.
At first glance it seems like a way to remove existing exotics. Unfortunately what it actually does is create incentive to "seed" habitat with exotic breeding stock for future harvest.
The situation in Florida with commercially valuable reptiles such as old world chameleons is completely out of control. New populations are springing up faster than the state can keep track and competition among collectors has gotten violent with shots fired.
That is why Hawaii banned export of exotic reptiles, to remove the incentive.

#3 Guest_DIfishhead_*

Guest_DIfishhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2011 - 05:02 PM

Have you had the opportunity to collect in aquatic South Florida? :shock: I don't think the waterways need any "seeding" to sustain this company's operation. Regardless, I do see your point. Thanks for your input- definitely a worthy topic for discussion in another thread.
This business came up in conversation awhile back, and I hate not being able to remember the name- thought it might be here in the collective brain of NANFA members. Guess the mystery will continue :sad2:
Cheers!

At first glance it seems like a way to remove existing exotics. Unfortunately what it actually does is create incentive to "seed" habitat with exotic breeding stock for future harvest.
The situation in Florida with commercially valuable reptiles such as old world chameleons is completely out of control. New populations are springing up faster than the state can keep track and competition among collectors has gotten violent with shots fired.

#4 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:30 PM

Have you had the opportunity to collect in aquatic South Florida? :shock: I don't think the waterways need any "seeding" to sustain this company's operation.

Yes, I did have one day in freshwater in the Glades [just looky, no touchy]. I followed the brook that runs along loop road for a long way before I finally saw some gar. Everything else were cichlids.

I've heard people on the herp forums make the same comment, basically it's the "There goes the neighborhood" philosophy. It's so bad now, how can it get worse?

It's getting worse because people are figuring out which species are most lucrative while also being most suitable for wild colonization. as they refine their methods, the exotic species count grows in leaps and bounds. There are researchers and grad students who are making a project out of tracking down leads on new exotics - they can't keep up!

#5 Guest_DIfishhead_*

Guest_DIfishhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:51 AM

I was amazed, too. About 6 years ago I did some collecting in the Everglades. At one boat ramp, the only thing I saw were exotics. Three dips of the net, trying to catch them, and I caught only (the slower and cryptic) natives that I didn't even see.

With your wealth of knowledge on the topic, do you happen to remember the outfit that specialized in collecting exotics (my original question)?
Thanks.

Yes, I did have one day in freshwater in the Glades [just looky, no touchy]. I followed the brook that runs along loop road for a long way before I finally saw some gar. Everything else were cichlids.

I've heard people on the herp forums make the same comment, basically it's the "There goes the neighborhood" philosophy. It's so bad now, how can it get worse?

It's getting worse because people are figuring out which species are most lucrative while also being most suitable for wild colonization. as they refine their methods, the exotic species count grows in leaps and bounds. There are researchers and grad students who are making a project out of tracking down leads on new exotics - they can't keep up!

#6 Guest_baker46947_*

Guest_baker46947_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:35 PM

I see no reason why not.We have fish farms in FL. Yes people could seed water ways for their own profit, they could do that with native fish ,and they have. Perhaps as a fishing licence is renewed every year, you would be regestered as collector of exotic fish.
With out a value you don't want it so you don't look for it. So the Asian carp is out on it's own, if it gets a value you can take them out of the waters they are in and maybe do some controling of popultions.
I had seen where the Australains make fertalizer from crap.
But this would come down to, are you an honest person and committed to removal of exotic fish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users