Sinking pellets for margined madtoms?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:07 AM

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a FAST sinking pellet food my margined madtoms might like. I keep them with various dace and spotfin shiners. I would like to find something that sinks fast and would be easy to feed to the madtoms.

Thanks,

Bart

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:55 AM

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a FAST sinking pellet food my margined madtoms might like. I keep them with various dace and spotfin shiners. I would like to find something that sinks fast and would be easy to feed to the madtoms.

Thanks,

Bart

Old fashioned shrimp pellets have worked for me to grow madtoms. Have had several get noticably larger (and some grow very large) feeding frozen foods and flakes to the shiners and darters. When they are small, they seem to get enough, by just cleaning up my over feeding :neutral: ... I add shrimp pellets if the madtoms are larger... they are too large for many Notropis mouths, and fall to the bottom nicely... chubs do tend to pick them up, and I have even had large darters grab them and carry them around in their mouths until they disolve... but there is plenty for the madtoms as well... in fact, two margineds I had some years back were the most willing to feed in teh daylight of any madtom I ahve kept... they used to come out during feeding time and grab stuff as soon as it hit the bottom... they did not get cheated!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:27 PM

Thanks,

Bart

I second the shrimp pellets my madtoms love them,i also feed them other foods with a 2' piece of pvc 1/2" pipe
to get the feed in front of them before the others have a chance to take it.mine will eat most any food they can fit in there mouth live or dead or frozen.

#4 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:31 PM

Shrimp pellets + 2

#5 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:54 PM

Shrimp pellets it is.

Anyone ever try That Fish Place Shrimp Pellets?

http://www.thatpetpl...i/1/product.web

They bill them as fast sinking which got my attention. Just looking for some more good stuff to keep my madtoms fat and happy. I currently have 3 margined's. They are all between 3"-4". I really enjoy them as 2 of the 3 are out patrolling most of the time and the 3rd comes out when the food hits the water. :smile2:

Edited by bart, 18 January 2011 - 11:54 PM.

#6 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:42 PM

I use Wardley's Shrimp Pellets. They dissolve in a few minutes into small bits that fish seem to enjoy.

#7 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:49 PM

I also use the Wardley's shrimp pellets for madtoms, they also work for Chubsuckers.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users