HOB plant filters

23 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:18 PM

Sounds a bit like Callitriche heterophylla (water starwort), but the leaves are too big. Maybe some kind of Potamogeton? The ones I know have fairly large floating leaves, but I don't know all the species.

#22 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:18 PM

Sounds a bit like Callitriche heterophylla (water starwort), but the leaves are too big. Maybe some kind of Potamogeton? The ones I know have fairly large floating leaves, but I don't know all the species.

I think you got it!!!
If not C, heterophylla, it's gonna be one of the Callitriche. The descriptions and habitat are perfect, the photos pretty durned close. I think it's too hard to go by pics when plants are so variable but these are the closest I've seen yet.

#23 Guest_mywan_*

Guest_mywan_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:02 AM

Very similar to the plant I was trying to identify in another thread, C. stagnalis. Only stagnalis is an invasive and heterophylla is not.

#24 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:11 AM

Also take a look at Lysimachia nummularia, which has round fingernail-size leaves, opposite along the trailing stems. The Callitriche I've seen have smaller leaves and not so round, although I learned yesterday there's a bunch of other Callitriche spp I've never seen.

I think you got it!!!
If not C, heterophylla, it's gonna be one of the Callitriche. The descriptions and habitat are perfect, the photos pretty durned close. I think it's too hard to go by pics when plants are so variable but these are the closest I've seen yet.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users