giant crayfish found in tenessee

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:33 AM

I just found an article on a new species of crayfish found in Tennessee that is larger than the other crayfish species that share its habitat.

http://news.yahoo.co..._crayfish_giant

#2 Guest_mywan_*

Guest_mywan_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:22 AM

About 2 new species of crayfish are found every year in the U.S. Mostly in Alabama and Tennessee.

#3 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:26 PM

The cool thing about this crayfish is that it's HUGE and found in waters regularly frequented by biologists. They were amazed that the crays had been missed, but the biologists had to turn over big rocks that they normally didn't bother with to get at the crayfish.

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:50 PM

5 inches is giant? Same genus as bottlebrush crayfish, but half the size, so it seems. I hope to learn more about these large Barbicambarus crayfish, and have to wonder about their value as a possible aquaculture species. Maybe a temperate species could compete in the aquaculture industry with the large tropical Australian crays. Though at the same time I hate to think of exploitation these endemic crayfish. But with the prevalence of numerous animal die offs lately, arking animals might be a good move.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users