Ohio fish program...

12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_andyavram_*

Guest_andyavram_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:39 PM

For those who remember back in 2009 I did a program at my work, Lake Metroparks (www.lakemetroparks.com), about freshwater mussels. We ended up with over 60 some participants, and followed it up last year with a program on river mammals. Well this year, we highlight the Grand River, we are finally getting around to focus on the fishes of the Grand River. We are planning on highlighting the non-game species and here is where you may come in.

The program is going to take place in Madison, Ohio at Hidden Valley Park on August 21 from 1-4. Right now I would like to get NANFA officially involved in this endeavor but I am not sure how to go about the process. I am also looking for any contacts for PhD's working on fishes in Ohio that may be willing to present.

Anyone interested in helping out with the program please respond here or PM me and I will get back to you. I will post more details on this program, especially if you are interested in just attending, as we get nearer to the actual date.

This will be an outdoor program with some activities (like seining) in the water.

Andy Avram

#2 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:17 PM

I'd like to attend. It'd be fun to seine with a group, and I have a seine and umbrella net I can bring.
Edit: Oh, wait, that's August 21st. I will have moved out of Ohio by then to go to grad school. :(

Edited by EricaWieser, 01 February 2011 - 07:19 PM.

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:14 PM

The program is going to take place in Madison, Ohio at Hidden Valley Park on August 21 from 1-4. Right now I would like to get NANFA officially involved in this endeavor but I am not sure how to go about the process. I am also looking for any contacts for PhD's working on fishes in Ohio that may be willing to present.

Andy,

Check the inside front cover of your last American Currents and you will see that your Regional Rep (for North Ohio) is Matthew Smith. His contact information is there and he should be able to help coordinate things for you.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_andyavram_*

Guest_andyavram_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:27 PM

you will see that your Regional Rep (for North Ohio) is Matthew Smith

I guess I over-thought that issue. Matthew has actually been part of this program before as a representative of his job. Thanks, Michael.

As for Erica. Too bad, it is going to be a blast, but until the time you leave feel free to hit me up anytime you want to get out and see a ton of species.

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:45 AM

Too bad, it is going to be a blast, but until the time you leave feel free to hit me up anytime you want to get out and see a ton of species.

Totally agree... I lived up that way for a while and really enjoyed the Grand River just east of Paynesville... down a dirt road... never saw so many darters... the bottom of the river just got up and moved !
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:53 PM

Hi Andy,

I'd be more than willing to help out. I can pull a seine with the best of them. I will also be wrapping up my Masters degree right around then. I've been involved with a number of projects around here that I may be able to present about (I'm not at the Ph.D level that you requested in your message, but I may be able to contribute). Have you contacted Todd? He and I may be able to carpool, plus, he is working with Ohio fishes and earning his Ph.D. My friend Brian Zimmerman (smbass) earned his Masters degree while working with redside dace in Ohio. I believe some of his study sites were in the Grand River watershed. A talk from him might be of interest as well.

-Nate

#7 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:25 PM

I will check into that date to help out.
This is a great event.

#8 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:07 PM

I can probably help out in some way as well. I will be working on a new fish related project by then for OSU and could likely talk about that. I'll put the date in my planner.

#9 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:23 PM

I'd like to help, too! It sounds great!

#10 Guest_andyavram_*

Guest_andyavram_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:45 PM

Thanks everyone for your interest. As I said I would definitely like to have NANFA representation here at this event. We are also thinking of having seining ongoing during the program where the public will get to learn what this is all about, while trying their hand at it.

If people are interested in being involved further PM me otherwise I will post some reminders as the date gets closer and the details start firming up.

Thanks again everyone!

#11 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:19 PM

Have you thought of doing some snorkeling as part of it?

#12 Guest_andyavram_*

Guest_andyavram_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:24 PM

Have you thought of doing some snorkeling as part of it?

No. As cool as it could be we don't have the equipment available to loan the public and I am not sure how well a "bring your own goggles and snorkel" would work. I know the park district south of my did a snorkeling program though and my staff has talked about doing a special program about it.

#13 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:34 AM

It won't be that revealing a snorkel down by Madison, although I would really encourage you to make view buckets available. I'm not sure if you used them in the mussel program or not?

I'm interested, but I don't know what my summer holds - I've got a lot of field time, a lot of writing to finish, and I've already commit to two local programs, so I'm reluctant to commit to anything. Hopefully I can join y'all tho!

Todd

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users