GA dipnets... another interpretation

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:31 PM

As a Georgia resident, I thought I would clarify something...

Dipnets are legal.
There is not a restriction on them.

The law says that shad are a game fish...
then it says you cannot use a seine/dipnet for game fish...
then it says that you can dipnet for shad if you use them as bait...

That's what the law was trying to accomplish, allowing the dipneting of shad (a gamefish) as bait.

Other than that, dipnets are grouped in with seines as a way of taking non-game baitfish.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#2 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:43 PM

As a Georgia resident, I thought I would clarify something...

Dipnets are legal.
There is not a restriction on them.

The law says that shad are a game fish...
then it says you cannot use a seine/dipnet for game fish...
then it says that you can dipnet for shad if you use them as bait...

That's what the law was trying to accomplish, allowing the dipneting of shad (a gamefish) as bait.

Other than that, dipnets are grouped in with seines as a way of taking non-game baitfish.

That is kind of what I read as well....Nice to hear another clarification of that.

#3 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:15 AM

Michael, that is what I took from the previous thread, although nobody put it anywhere near as succinctly as you just did. The answer couldn't be more clear now. Thanks for settling the matter.

Richard, I think it is apparent that you and I disagree about a few things. But even so, I did want to go on record publicly as saying that I highly respect you. I look forward to meeting you and shaking hands on the upcoming Maumee trip! See you then.

#4 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:45 AM

Michael, that is what I took from the previous thread, although nobody put it anywhere near as succinctly as you just did. The answer couldn't be more clear now. Thanks for settling the matter.

Richard, I think it is apparent that you and I disagree about a few things. But even so, I did want to go on record publicly as saying that I highly respect you. I look forward to meeting you and shaking hands on the upcoming Maumee trip! See you then.

We do scuff Ed but really nothing personal...I too look forword to meeting up with you personally also so you see I really do not have horns on my head :P

#5 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2007 - 07:10 PM

Went and did some more dipping in Northern Georgia today. For the guy that started this post, can you now clarify what Georgia deems a game fish? Where do you find that in that PDF book they have on line?

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 04 February 2007 - 05:32 PM

I think this is the link for the fishing regulations... click on the pcture of the book near the bottom of the page and it opens as a pdf file. Page six lists thedaily limits for game fishes... so my interpretation, if it is listed it is a game fish, if not, it ia a bait fish... also known to me as an aquarium fish. Now I know that most of you out there on this forum seem to love your predators... but you have to really start considering the shiners, chubs, darters, etc. Nothing like a big mixed school to recreate the look of a natural stream.

http://georgiawildli...txtDocument=406

Went and did some more dipping in Northern Georgia today. For the guy that started this post, can you now clarify what Georgia deems a game fish? Where do you find that in that PDF book they have on line?

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#7 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2007 - 08:42 PM

Now I know that most of you out there on this forum seem to love your predators... but you have to really start considering the shiners, chubs, darters, etc. Nothing like a big mixed school to recreate the look of a natural stream.

Except that the predators eat the darters. I keep my darters and pickerel in separate tanks. But you're right, it's good to have them all.

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:48 AM

Yea Ed, I meant as an alternative to keeping predators :smile: not as a food source for them...

But seriously, a tank full of darters and shiners (Notropis and Cyprinella) with a large pair of bluehead chubs... that can be a tank with a lot of interest and very representativ eof certain streams down here... a real piece of nature in you own home...

MW

Except that the predators eat the darters. I keep my darters and pickerel in separate tanks. But you're right, it's good to have them all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users