New from North Carolina

44 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ZeeZ_*

Guest_ZeeZ_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:12 AM

Hello!

I'm Adam. I found this site from an article that was posted on another forum (I don't know if I'm allowed to mention the forum... some forums are sticklers about that.) about keeping native fish. I've fished and caught a ton of bluegills since I was a young boy. Recently I got back into fishkeeping (currently starting a Red Cherry Shrimp and Snail tank with some Otos) and plan on a 40 gallon community in a couple of months. However, I do have a 55 gallon currently sitting in storage that I would love to turn into a native species tank.

I've read that bluegills require about 20 gallons per fish, so I would be able to keep two bluegills. Maybe some kind of small school of decent-sized minnows that the bluegills couldn't eat? I tried to read the links posted in the NC section about NC laws of taking fish but the links didn't work. I don't know if capturing and keeping bluegills requires a fishing permit or not... I'd love to keep some type of bass instead (never caught a bass before. I intend to one day...).

I just wanted to introduce myself. I think it's fantastic that this site exists because it's always been a dream of mine to keep something that I've caught. I'm looking forward to learning about the native fish, inverts, and plants here in NC.

#2 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:13 AM

Welcome to the forum :)

#3 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:41 AM

I'm sure Gerald will chime in, but you should get with him and the RAS (Raleigh Aquarium Society) and see what else NC has to offer other than bluegills.

#4 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:26 PM

Yes you'll need a NC-WRC fishing license (except in a private pond). I'd suggest a green sunfish, redbreast or pumpkinseed (all found around Greensboro) that will stay smaller than bluegill. Larger minnows that MIGHT survive with them include golden shiner, white shiner, whitefin shiner, satinfin shiner.

#5 Guest_ZeeZ_*

Guest_ZeeZ_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:35 PM

I apologize, I didn't have this site bookmarked. I do now.

Is there any reason why bluegills wouldn't be recommended? I think they're actually quite colorful once they're adults. Is it because they're so common and easily caught that people tend to think of them as "trash fish"?

Or is it that they're difficult to keep with other fish in a 55 gallon, perhaps? What would you recommend for that tank size?

Thanks!

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:27 PM

Really, I think it is just that they eventually get so big... I mean, they could be 12 inches long, and that is tough to turn around in a regular 55 that is only 12 inches front to back...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#7 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:32 PM

Bluegill and other sunfish work best if kept in groups of 6 or more or just 1 fish by themselves maybe with some sort of active schooling minnows rather than sunfish. Realistically to keep a group of bluegill a 75 gallon tank is much better than a 55 because of the extra tank width. A 55 would work but the idea of 1 and a school of very active and durable minnows with a lone male bluegill would be best in that situation because of the size potential of the bluegill. You may be able to keep a group in a 55 but be prepared to have to do a lot of tank maintenance to keep up with that large bioload.

I keep a lot of sunfish (almost every Lepomis sp. only missing bluegill and redear) and the reason why I do not keep the largest two Lepomis sp. is because they are the least colorful in my opinion and also readily available at private fish farms that supply fish for farm ponds and private lakes. If a customer of mine really wants one of those two I just go to one of those fish farms buy the fish and then turn around and sell them again for a little more.

#8 Guest_ZeeZ_*

Guest_ZeeZ_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:29 PM

That makes sense. I remembered bluegills being around 7". I guess the bigger ones hang out at different locations.

Actually, I'm seriously considering a 75 if I can find one with a stand and equipment for a decent price.

So sunfishes are more colorful than bluegills... How would I go about catching them? I really would like to catch what I stock. It would make for a more enjoyable experience for me and a nicer story than "I bought them..."

#9 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:53 PM

First, make sure it's legal for you to collect fish for your tank in your state. This is not usually explicitly stated in the fishing regs, so you may have to do some digging or contact the DNR. After that, ordinary dipnetting and angling methods can get you sunnies. There are numerous species with different sizes and habitat preferences, so that will effect where and how you collect. Going out collecting with a more experienced local collector is very helpful.

#10 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:55 AM

Yes, in NC you can keep sunfish and other gamefish caught on hook+line, but not by net or trap. The NC-WRC regs do not prohibit keeping legally-caught gamefish in aquaria. But you cannot sell gamefish (not even Enneacanthus "dwarf sunfishes") unless you get an aquaculture permit from NC-WRC. Sunfish species you're likely to catch around Greensboro and Winston-Salem area are bluegill, pumpkinseed, redear, green, warmouth, redbreast, and black crappie. Redbreast is mainly in flowing streams; the others can be in both still and flowing waters.

Edited by gerald, 22 February 2011 - 10:57 AM.

#11 Guest_ZeeZ_*

Guest_ZeeZ_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:59 PM

So, let's assume I'm getting a 75g.

Would it be possible to mix, such as one Bluegill with two Pumpkinseeds and a school of large minnows? Or one Bluegill, one Pumpkinseed and one Black Crappie with school of minnows? Are there any large native aquatic snails that won't be eaten by the fish? I could get Mystery snails but they'd probably eat the live native plants I intend on putting in there...

Since it's legal for only hook-and-line, that isn't feasible for the fingerlings I want to catch since they'd probably be too large to train to accept pellets and become accustomed to captivity. Is it possible to do this with hook and line or do I have to find a private pond so I can go with the trap or net route?

Thanks so much for being patient and answering my newbie questions!

Edited by ZeeZ, 22 February 2011 - 05:00 PM.

#12 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:02 PM

Zeez,

Check out http://forum.nanfa.o...sh-keeping-101/. This is something gerald put together and it is specific to NC.

#13 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:47 PM

Sunfish are all rather aggressive (crappie less so) and its unpredictable as to which ones will get along. It depends on the individuals, their size, age and sex, structure in the aquarium, and who's established versus who is new in town. And it can change at any moment with no warning. In general, a large group of sunnies (5 or more) works better than just a few, whether they're the same species or a mix of species. Snails: No, the local native ones are all small and would likely be eaten. Buy tiny hooks and you can catch some pretty small sunnies, plus larger shiners, bluehead chub, creek chub, rosyside dace. You can also buy small sunfish from guys who sell fish for pond stocking, if they'll sell small quantities.

So, let's assume I'm getting a 75g.

Would it be possible to mix, such as one Bluegill with two Pumpkinseeds and a school of large minnows? Or one Bluegill, one Pumpkinseed and one Black Crappie with school of minnows? Are there any large native aquatic snails that won't be eaten by the fish? I could get Mystery snails but they'd probably eat the live native plants I intend on putting in there...

Since it's legal for only hook-and-line, that isn't feasible for the fingerlings I want to catch since they'd probably be too large to train to accept pellets and become accustomed to captivity. Is it possible to do this with hook and line or do I have to find a private pond so I can go with the trap or net route?

Thanks so much for being patient and answering my newbie questions!

#14 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:04 PM

What Gerald and Drew say is right. I would add that P-seeds, especially, are not a schooling fish as adults and can be very territorial and all-around cranky. A 75-gal would be a small territory for an adult P-seed, much less 2 or 3.

#15 Guest_ZeeZ_*

Guest_ZeeZ_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:15 PM

It seems that a p-seed isn't ideal, then. Perhaps a black or white crappie since they're less aggressive?

What would you stock a 75g with? I'd like at least one good-sized centerpiece fish that a 75 would suit, if you will.

#16 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:48 PM

A redear sunfish would be great as a centerpiece fish. They're moderate-sized (most I've seen are under 6", though they may get a fair bit larger), feisty but not near as nasty as some other sunfish tend to be, and reasonably compatible with most other species. Warmouth are another good choice- very laid back, as sunfish go. They usually don't bother fish too big to swallow. Warmouth are not brightly colored like redears, but have their own subtle charm.

I suggest you avoid crappie for now. They get big, and are said to be more delicate than Lepomis species.

#17 Guest_ZeeZ_*

Guest_ZeeZ_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:00 PM

I just looked up some redear photos and it isn't a colorful fish. A warmouth looks to be neutral colored but it does have interesting patterning.

I remember in high school, my geography teacher had a black crappie in his tank in his classroom along with a good-sized common pleco. I forget exactly what gallon it was but it was a good-sized one. He said he caught it as a baby and it had grown to the size it was then, which was about 8 inches or so. It ate every fish he tried to put in with it but the pleco. He named it Fred. I used to watch it when I was bored during class. It was a cool fish, for sure.

Edited by ZeeZ, 22 February 2011 - 11:06 PM.

#18 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:42 PM

I'm not sure if Newt meant redbreast instead of redear, but I'd recommend a pair of redbreast sunfish. I've caught fairly large ones but that isn't too common. You can round the tank out with some fieryblack shiners, Cyprinells pyrrhomelas.

#19 Guest_ZeeZ_*

Guest_ZeeZ_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:28 AM

The photos of redbreast isn't very appealing to me but I may change my mind if I saw one in person...

I'd also like a catfish. Would a margined madtom work with sunfish? I saw there was a Carolina Madtom, but I also read that it was endangered, especially in the Neuse River so I'd leave those alone.

#20 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:00 AM

My experience has been that sunfish of any size are pretty easy to train to pellets.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users