Photo

FDA crackdown on fish drugs

8 replies to this topic

#1 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:00 AM

Again, not sure where this belongs but I'll start here. I've heard through the grapevine that the FDA will begin the ban of all drugs used for or on animals that have otherwise not been approved by them. To us, that includes all medicines such as “Quick Cure” for ich, “Pimafix/Melafix”, etc. I have no idea about the actual validity or exact details surrounding this but perhaps some of you may have and can chime in.

I assume if this is true it will be both good and bad for the fish keeping industry. For starters, I don’t see any of us taking our sick Neon tetra’s or Golden shiners to the vet to get a prescription of Baytril, Formalin-containing-drug, and what have you to remedy our injured or immunocompromised animals. On the other hand, it will finally make some of these companies step up and prove that their drugs actually work (although many of us already know that to more or less of an extent).

I’m really interested in how you think this will influence things once it has begun (if it’s true).
Nick L.

#2 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:55 PM

Again, not sure where this belongs but I'll start here. I've heard through the grapevine that the FDA will begin the ban of all drugs used for or on animals that have otherwise not been approved by them. To us, that includes all medicines such as “Quick Cure” for ich, “Pimafix/Melafix”, etc. I have no idea about the actual validity or exact details surrounding this but perhaps some of you may have and can chime in.

I assume if this is true it will be both good and bad for the fish keeping industry. For starters, I don’t see any of us taking our sick Neon tetra’s or Golden shiners to the vet to get a prescription of Baytril, Formalin-containing-drug, and what have you to remedy our injured or immunocompromised animals. On the other hand, it will finally make some of these companies step up and prove that their drugs actually work (although many of us already know that to more or less of an extent).

I’m really interested in how you think this will influence things once it has begun (if it’s true).

I'm guessing that this might have more to do with antibiotics than other drugs. One can often find fish antibiotics in the dog section of the pet store. Why would they be there? I assume people are using them off-label on non-fish pets. With bacteria becoming more and more drug resistant, I could easily see restricting the use of newer ones to prescription only in an effort to prevent overuse.

#3 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:28 PM

I'm guessing that this might have more to do with antibiotics than other drugs. One can often find fish antibiotics in the dog section of the pet store. Why would they be there? I assume people are using them off-label on non-fish pets. With bacteria becoming more and more drug resistant, I could easily see restricting the use of newer ones to prescription only in an effort to prevent overuse.

Could it have anything to do with meth labs? Like they did with otc medicines, the good original formula's are now behind the pharmacy counter where the watered down version is on the shelf.

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:27 AM

I am not a big fan of doctors, so for many years if I get a sinus infection or what not, I have taken veterinary antibiotics. Primarily fish meds. http://www.amazon.co.../ref=pd_sim_k_1 This is a great product for the occasional sinus infection. The pills are in fact labeled and are identical to prescription amoxicillin for human use. If you read the comments, you will see that I am not the only one using them this way. Better stock up now.

So possibly I am the reason, along with many others.

Edited by Skipjack, 16 February 2011 - 08:30 AM.

#5 Guest_decal_*

Guest_decal_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:58 AM

I'm a medical student and also not a big fan of doctors. :wink: It's getting difficult to get any prescription drug without a physician's license. A lot of it has to do with the centralization of supplies and liability. Our lab uses an old cytotoxic chemotherapeutic agent in a common mouse model. A local hospital's pharmacy use to just give it to us, but since they've been taken over by Cardinal we now have to use a physician colleague's info. And controlled substances... *shudders*

I doubt any of the herbal meds like Melafix or the copper-based drugs will be affected.

#6 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:33 AM

Yeah, if you do any research with steroid hormones like various testosterones and estrogens you need pretty serious legal permission to buy the stuff legally. Luckily I've inherited a collection of most of what I might used some day, with the exception of 11-ketotestosterone... and if I was really desperate I could get it in Mexico. But truly, I'm not that desperate(!).

#7 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:00 PM

Very interesting. Shows how far off base I was. I was thinking that every "drug" used in the home, zoo, and aquarium industry was going to be put under the gun since they all "claim" to fix/cure various infections and outbreaks. I know aquariums have access to legit meds such as Prazi, Baytril, Levamisole, Metronidazole, etc and aren't dumping 1,000 gallons of Quick Cure into their Amazon tank to resolve an ich outbreak.

I am very passive about drug use with my fish--(it's their choice if they want to smoke a little pot). All jokes aside, I agree that too many people are over using many antibiotics today to create the all too familiar, superbugs. Since the home aquarium is still a big hobby, I was wondering how John Q. Fishkeeper will react if the government overreacts.
Nick L.

#8 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:11 PM

I agree that too many people are over using many antibiotics today to create the all too familiar, superbugs.

Thing is last time I went to the MD for a sinus infection, he said that their new policy was to withhold treatment for 10 days, and see if the situation resolved itself. Great 10 days later when my snot was flourescent green,and looked like cottage cheese, I paid more money to the doctor. Finally ended up with amoxicillin, after paying double. No more. Fish meds for me after that point.

The overuse of antibiotics stems from the welfare system. Every time one of these recipients gets a cold they go to the MD because it is free, and they expect some kind of treatment. The doctor prescribes antibiotics for a virus to shut them up. Sorry for the rant. And derail.

#9 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:48 AM

I used to work for a vet and was surprised how much DEA regs he had to worry about. He had a safe in his office to keep controled substances. At that time, vets were getting knocked off by druggies after ketamine. I thought of that every single night I closed the place alone. The exit was on the unlit back of the building and had no windows. I would cringe opening the door wondering if they were out there. :blink:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users