Alabama late January

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2007 - 10:45 PM

I'm in Southern Alabama for work and stopped by the local river. The location is a deep weedy backwater with sand and mud mix. The water is rather tannin stained and the level was quite low.

The temp was about middle 50's and no wind. Spotty rain and full cloud cover. I'm alone so my cummings dip net was my best friend today. With winter in full now, the weeds have died back for the most part but a few remained.

Once I pulled up to the site, I immediately noticed a very large ball of minnows about 10' in diameter. They noticed me as well, avoiding me with great speed. I decided to work around the ball of fish just watching them as I sampled.

I worked what little solid cover existed (fallen trees and cypress knees). These areas produced the most killifish while the old vegetative masses made the best Elassoma hideouts. I began to work deeper water (always frightened of alligators even though it's winter) carefully. Pretty soon I found a great many hogchoker. I've sampled this area few times and never found any here. Once I found they seemed to prefer the sand/mud transition I was able to determine this place is loaded with them. With that ball of minnows still in sight I decided to see if my little dip net might be able to secure a couple of photos of this mystery fish. As luck had it I was able to trick a few by driving them to shore. Two guys and a seine would have made short work of them but patience allowed me my first photo of what I believe to be pugnose minnow.

Opsopoeodus emiliae (Pugnose Pinnow)
Noturus gyrinus (Tadpole Madtom)
Fundulus chryostus (Golden Topminnow)
Fundulus nottii (Bayou Topminnow)
Fundulus blairae (Western Starhead Topminnow)
Heterandria formosa (Least Killifish)
Gambusia ??
Enneacanthus gloriosus (Bluespotted Sunfish)
Lepomis macrochirus (Bluegill)
Lepomis microlophus (Redear Sunfish)
Etheostoma fusiforme (Swamp Darter)
Elassoma zonatum (Banded Pygmy Sunfish)
Trinectes maculatus (Hogchoker)

The sun would not cooperate today so the photos are quite blurry.

As always, please let me know if my ID's are wrong. I'll use the "I'm on the road" excuse :lol:
Opsopoeodus_emiliae.jpg
Opsopoeodus_emiliae__1_.jpg
Noturus_gyrinus_.jpg
Fundulus_chryostus.jpg
Fundulus_nottii.jpg
Enneacanthus_gloriosus.jpg
Lepomis_macrochirus.jpg
Etheostoma_fusiforme.jpg
Elassoma_zonatum.jpg
Trinectes_maculatus.jpg

#2 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:04 PM

What a nice species list. I wish I knew you were going that way, I could have really used a few chrysotus. My only male died last week and I've got two ladies all alone. In fact, I think my three topminnow species are all male-less now, which doesn't bode well for the summer trip to the tubs. I've been looking to acquire some zonatum as well as last years breeding forray ended up with 6 fish turning into 0. Really need to get outta this darn Tennessee River drainage!

Matt

#3 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:23 AM

Really need to get outta this darn Tennessee River drainage!

It's amazing how we all have different points of view. I'd really like to get into the Tennessee River drainage!

#4 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:07 AM

Beautiful pictures as always Teleost. The swamp darter is especially nice. Did you notice if the shiner had a clear window in its dorsal fin? It looks like it the first pic, but the white background may be hiding it to an extent.

#5 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:36 AM

where were you?

If you are near mobile, give me a call, ill come join you
i pmed you my cell

#6 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2007 - 02:09 PM

Great stuff!

I would agree with your ID of the pugnose. A more perpindicular shot of the mouth would really make it clear. But in your hand, you just can't miss how the jaw looks like the bucket on a ol' time crane with a coal bucket.

And of course, this is another of the species that has that goofy northern distribution following the retreat of the glacier. Do you know if they're still extant in the Kankakee or Des Plains?

They do really well in aquaria too, if you have the means to get them home.

Again, great pictures!

Todd

#7 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:23 PM

Did you notice if the shiner had a clear window in its dorsal fin? It looks like it the first pic, but the white background may be hiding it to an extent.

That's a good little tip thanks dsmith73. I don't think I've ever heard of that field tip.
AAwindow.jpg

I would agree with your ID of the pugnose. A more perpindicular shot of the mouth would really make it clear. But in your hand, you just can't miss how the jaw looks like the bucket on a ol' time crane with a coal bucket.

That mouth sure does look like an old time coal bucket.
AAcoal_bucket.jpg

Do you know if they're still extant in the Kankakee or Des Plains?

They should be but I can't swear by it first hand since I've not yet seen any in the Kankakee. This fish certainly got my attention here so I'd certainly not miss one from the Kank.

BTW the pugnose had quite an iridescent red color. Seemed rather odd yet pretty.

#8 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:16 PM

Looks like you found a nice spot. I hope you had your Catfish Alliance deep south sampling permit with you.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users