Bullhead on Craigslist

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:36 AM

There's someone on craigslist who has a 6" Bullhead that they're looking to get rid of, and I was just wondering if he could get along with either a 8" Bass or a 6-7" Crappie? I know I had aggression problems with my Bass, but I thought that maybe since they inhabit different areas in the water there would be less aggression between the two. The only open tank I have is a 10 gallon, but he's a little big for that, right?

#2 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:03 AM

There's someone on craigslist who has a 6" Bullhead that they're looking to get rid of, and I was just wondering if he could get along with either a 8" Bass or a 6-7" Crappie? I know I had aggression problems with my Bass, but I thought that maybe since they inhabit different areas in the water there would be less aggression between the two. The only open tank I have is a 10 gallon, but he's a little big for that, right?

hello Yeahson421, bullhead is a very large group of fish, if not the biggest family of fish in north america.
With 48 species, Ictaluridae, the Bullhead Catfish family. some get over 5 foot in length so i would say no the 10 gallon tank would never work!
here is a link to help id your fish find.and i would not keep any of the larger bullhead catfish in a standard home show tank they are just to small.
however there is 29 species in this family which i would say are ok for home show tanks. look under this link for the small flavor of the bullhead family
http://tolweb.org/Noturus/68930

http://tolweb.org/Ictaluridae/15230

on aside note you said this fish is on crags list.
this has red flag all over it to me.
plus i would never buy a fish online get it home and dump it in a tank of fish.
reason
#1 is it legal
#2 does this new tank mate have any germs
#3 what kinda bullhead is it
#4 why pay for a fish i could collect legally

Yeahson421, i hope this has helped in some way to make up your mind
or guide you in some way.

#3 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:42 PM

hello Yeahson421, bullhead is a very large group of fish, if not the biggest family of fish in north america.
With 48 species, Ictaluridae, the Bullhead Catfish family. some get over 5 foot in length so i would say no the 10 gallon tank would never work!
here is a link to help id your fish find.and i would not keep any of the larger bullhead catfish in a standard home show tank they are just to small.
however there is 29 species in this family which i would say are ok for home show tanks. look under this link for the small flavor of the bullhead family

reason
#1 is it legal

It is a black or brown bullhead.

#1 Yes.
#2 Not likely, it looks very healthy and has been captive since last spring.
#3 As I said, Black or Brown.
#4 It's for free, they are moving and they know that it is not right to release an fish, native or not. I could collect it, I just want to help them out because I know that there are very few other native keepers in the area, so most people would put it in with their tetras or whatever. Once it ate all of their precious little tropicals, they would probably release it.

#4 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:48 PM

The only open tank I have is a 10 gallon, but he's a little big for that, right?

There's your answer for you right there. Yes, a six inch fish is too large for a 10 gallon tank. Unless you have a larger tank ready for that fish, you can't ethically take it in.

http://hubpages.com/...Keepers-Disease

#5 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:53 PM

There's your answer for you right there. Yes, a six inch fish is too large for a 10 gallon tank. Unless you have a larger tank ready for that fish, you can't ethically take it in.

http://hubpages.com/...Keepers-Disease

Well, I could put him in with either my Crappie or Bass, but I don't know if my bass would beat him up like he did to the Crappie, and I don't know if he would beat up my Crappie. If I did get him, would the 10 gallon be adequete for quarantine?

#6 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:05 PM

It is a black or brown bullhead.

#1 Yes.
#2 Not likely, it looks very healthy and has been captive since last spring.
#3 As I said, Black or Brown.
#4 It's for free, they are moving and they know that it is not right to release an fish, native or not. I could collect it, I just want to help them out because I know that there are very few other native keepers in the area, so most people would put it in with their tetras or whatever. Once it ate all of their precious little tropicals, they would probably release it.

ok its black or brown so it will get to 2 foot long in 3-4 years period.
that takes a big tank for fish this size.
email them and tell them to freeze and dump the fish.
this may sound cold but it is a better option then give away and end up back in the wild.

#7 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:18 PM

ok its black or brown so it will get to 2 foot long in 3-4 years period.
that takes a big tank for fish this size.
email them and tell them to freeze and dump the fish.
this may sound cold but it is a better option then give away and end up back in the wild.

I have a pond that I could put it in, trust me, there are plenty of other options.

#8 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:18 PM

http://hubpages.com/hub/Multiple-Tank-Syndrome-A-Fish-Keepers-Disease

Haha, fish keepers anonymous!

#9 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:24 PM

Well, I could put him in with either my Crappie or Bass, but I don't know if my bass would beat him up like he did to the Crappie, and I don't know if he would beat up my Crappie. If I did get him, would the 10 gallon be adequete for quarantine?

I have no clue on a bass as i haven't kept one. But in my 55 gallon my sunfish and sleeper goby who bully many fish never bully the bullheads. I am not sure if it is due to their spines or not.

#10 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:37 PM

I have no clue on a bass as i haven't kept one. But in my 55 gallon my sunfish and sleeper goby who bully many fish never bully the bullheads. I am not sure if it is due to their spines or not.

Okay, I think that they would probably get along fine. Considering the bullhead would be hanging out at the bottom most of the time and my Bass is constantly patroling the surface, they would have very few confrontations.

#11 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:02 AM

Okay, I think that they would probably get along fine. Considering the bullhead would be hanging out at the bottom most of the time and my Bass is constantly patroling the surface, they would have very few confrontations.

catfish like caves.
a nice creek rock or two will do just fine.

#12 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:31 PM

catfish like caves.
a nice creek rock or two will do just fine.

I have a creek rock and a slate cave.

#13 Guest_FishheadDave_*

Guest_FishheadDave_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:01 AM

For what its worth, I've had good success keeping brown bullheads (5-8") with largemouth bass (10-13") in larger aquaria (55-75 gallons). With modest feeding rates, my bullheads probably grew around 2-3" per year.

But also be warned, bass are known to eat small catfishes. One person I know worked on the stomach contents of bass in Virginia, and from what I understand it was not uncommon to see bass with madtom spines in their digestive tracts.

#14 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:21 PM

For what its worth, I've had good success keeping brown bullheads (5-8") with largemouth bass (10-13") in larger aquaria (55-75 gallons). With modest feeding rates, my bullheads probably grew around 2-3" per year.

But also be warned, bass are known to eat small catfishes. One person I know worked on the stomach contents of bass in Virginia, and from what I understand it was not uncommon to see bass with madtom spines in their digestive tracts.

Okay, thanks for the info. And there's no need to worry, the bullhead is only an inch or two shorter than the bass.

#15 Guest_tbird2017_*

Guest_tbird2017_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:11 AM

I have a yellow bullhead with multiple sunfish, as long as the bullhead has places to hide during the day he should be fine.

#16 Guest_pylodictis_*

Guest_pylodictis_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:39 AM

reason
#1 is it legal

That is not the "bullhead" family,however it does contain bullheads. There is no "bullhead" family(at least in the taxonomic sense of the word). "Bullhead" is a colloquial term referring to fishes in the Genus Ameiurus , ictaluridae also contains genera such as Pylodictis and Ictlarus which shouldn't be confused with Ameiurus.

#17 Guest_smilingfrog_*

Guest_smilingfrog_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:47 PM

That is not the "bullhead" family,however it does contain bullheads. There is no "bullhead" family(at least in the taxonomic sense of the word). "Bullhead" is a colloquial term referring to fishes in the Genus Ameiurus , ictaluridae also contains genera such as Pylodictis and Ictlarus which shouldn't be confused with Ameiurus.

Actually my Peterson's field guide does refer to Ictaluridae as the "Bullhead Catfishes", but generally I agree, to me a bullhead is an Ameiurus sp.

#18 Guest_pylodictis_*

Guest_pylodictis_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:26 PM

Actually my Peterson's field guide does refer to Ictaluridae as the "Bullhead Catfishes", but generally I agree, to me a bullhead is an Ameiurus sp.

Really, I haven't ever heard that.

#19 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:44 PM

I see it that way in Peterson's too, so I to a look around...

AFS Common and Scientific Names of Fishes 1980 on both the index page and the beginning of the section on catfishes lists it at Ictalridae - bullhead catfishes.

Quickly looking they are also referred to that way in Fishes of Virginia (Jenkins & Burkhead) and Mississippi (Ross) and Alabama (Mettee et.al.).

But Fishes of Tennessee (Etnier) uses the term only for Ameiurus.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#20 Guest_pylodictis_*

Guest_pylodictis_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:55 PM

I see it that way in Peterson's too, so I to a look around...

AFS Common and Scientific Names of Fishes 1980 on both the index page and the beginning of the section on catfishes lists it at Ictalridae - bullhead catfishes.

Quickly looking they are also referred to that way in Fishes of Virginia (Jenkins & Burkhead) and Mississippi (Ross) and Alabama (Mettee et.al.).

But Fishes of Tennessee (Etnier) uses the term only for Ameiurus.

Well I suppose that's why we use Si names, common names get mixed up. I've never ever heard an angler refer to that family as the bullheads.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users