Could something be wrong with my eel?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:34 PM

So I fed Eli very early yesterday morning. I gave him 12 pieces of tilapia. Not whole filets! I cut a piece of a filet up into small, "bite-size" chunks for him. Today I count 8 pieces remaining.

Oh I'm dumb...OK so I'm looking at my records.....from what I offer he's been eating 4-6 of these chunks each feeding....but I wonder....he's an 18 inch eel.....I'd think he'd eat more....

Next time I feed I should get photos of the size bits I feed him since I think it'd be helpful....but do you think something could be wrong?

#2 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:41 PM

So I fed Eli very early yesterday morning. I gave him 12 pieces of tilapia. Not whole filets! I cut a piece of a filet up into small, "bite-size" chunks for him. Today I count 8 pieces remaining.

Oh I'm dumb...OK so I'm looking at my records.....from what I offer he's been eating 4-6 of these chunks each feeding....but I wonder....he's an 18 inch eel.....I'd think he'd eat more....

Next time I feed I should get photos of the size bits I feed him since I think it'd be helpful....but do you think something could be wrong?

Is there anything going on wtih the temperature? Any other things that have been abnormal with his environment lately?

#3 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:05 PM

Is there anything going on wtih the temperature? Any other things that have been abnormal with his environment lately?

Well I did just move him to a new tank a few days ago, but he's been eating that average of pieces since December when I first offered tilapia. The tank is in a basement, and being winter time, I suppose the cooler temps might affect him.

#4 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:21 PM

Well I did just move him to a new tank a few days ago, but he's been eating that average of pieces since December when I first offered tilapia. The tank is in a basement, and being winter time, I suppose the cooler temps might affect him.

Yeah, that sounds like it could be the case.

#5 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:43 PM

Yeah, that sounds like it could be the case.

Turns out he ate 4 more!

#6 Guest_FishheadDave_*

Guest_FishheadDave_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:52 AM

Maybe I'm missing something, but sounds like he initially ate 4 pieces ( 12-8 ), and he normally eats 4-6...what was unusual about this?

Eels take a long time (7-25 years) to reach adult size in freshwater and much of their lifestyle sedentary -- I guess I would expect that their consumption rates would also be low. As Yeahson421 wrote, bioenergetic rates are also strongly controlled by temperature -- in general, lowering the temperature will reduce a fish's maximum consumption rate.

Edited by FishheadDave, 22 February 2011 - 07:52 AM.

#7 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:56 PM

Maybe I'm missing something, but sounds like he initially ate 4 pieces ( 12-8 ), and he normally eats 4-6...what was unusual about this?

Eels take a long time (7-25 years) to reach adult size in freshwater and much of their lifestyle sedentary -- I guess I would expect that their consumption rates would also be low. As Yeahson421 wrote, bioenergetic rates are also strongly controlled by temperature -- in general, lowering the temperature will reduce a fish's maximum consumption rate.

Well he's 18 inches...I just thought he'd eat more. I did notice the average and I did not take into account my feeding regimen as well. He's normally fed every other day, so there's really no need for him to consume so much now that I think about it as opposed to if I fed him once or twice a week....where he would possibly pig out like food is going out of style.

#8 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:57 PM

He's pining for the Fjords.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users