• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jakemyster44_*

Guest_jakemyster44_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:05 PM

Does anyone have experience with using these powerheads:
My link

I would be using them once I set up my 75g with assorted darters, shiners, etc. Would two, 800gph powerheads be too much for a 75g? I am debating between getting these or a rio 2100. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Jake

#2 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:06 PM

Where is the cord that goes from the powerhead to the outlet?

Other than that one question, this looks fine. It's magnetically coupled rotation, so that's nice. And the seller has a return policy, so that seems pretty safe. Sure, go for it. I wish my local pet store had an 800 GPH powerhead that suction cupped to the wall. For $55, all you can buy at my local pet store is a model that does significantly less GPH and is confined to the aquarium rim.

#3 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:41 PM

The one thing to be careful with using that kind of pump is the size of the grille. Small fish may get sucked in. The flow won't be too much for the fish, but it may be too much for the tank- you may have a lot of eddies, shifting substrate, etc. All I can say is try it and see.

Erica- there is a modification kit for the MaxiJet 1200 (sold everywhere) that makes it comparable to one of the wavemaker style pumps. It comes with suction cups. I have one on my 330 that's pretty impressive.

#4 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:26 PM

Erica- there is a modification kit for the MaxiJet 1200 (sold everywhere) that makes it comparable to one of the wavemaker style pumps. It comes with suction cups. ...

Ah, nice.

The one thing to be careful with using that kind of pump is the size of the grille. Small fish may get sucked in. ...

You can wrap fiberglass screen around the intake to stop that from happening. Fiberglass screen looks like this: http://www.bikudo.co...tock/214204.jpg and is generally about five bucks for a roll of it at your local hardware store. You can take a needle and thread and sew right through and around it to very easily attach it to the powerhead grille.

Edited by EricaWieser, 23 February 2011 - 01:29 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users