Threats to Native Species

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_swampfox_*

Guest_swampfox_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:14 PM

Hello everyone. I am trying to find any published literature that specifically identifies the major threats to native fish species. I am mostly interested in literature pertaining to species in the great plains or mountain west, but i'll take anything that outlines the basic threats to native fish populations. Is there a "Silent Spring" for native fish? Thanks for any help I might receive.

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2011 - 06:16 PM

It's not a "Silent Spring" since it's been building for over 100 years now; but then, few people really know about it. A large literature exists on the subject. In the area you're talking about some of the issues involve the stocking of non-native trouts and genetically diluting the native populations like the various cutthroats. As an expression of mild egomania I've attached my recent article about flame chubs in Alabama:
Attached File  Stallsmith_StatusOfFlameChub.pdf   92.98KB   55 downloads
The real point of attaching it is that many of my article references are recent reviews of the status especially of southeastern native fishes, so I'll make available the whole she-bang in one attachment. Plenty of other avenues exist, too.

And welcome to the Forum.

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 26 February 2011 - 08:28 PM

Hello everyone. I am trying to find any published literature that specifically identifies the major threats to native fish species. I am mostly interested in literature pertaining to species in the great plains or mountain west, but i'll take anything that outlines the basic threats to native fish populations. Is there a "Silent Spring" for native fish? Thanks for any help I might receive.

Check out the following on the web, although not about fish in the regions you mention, it is about threatened fish and why they are threatened.

SFC Desperate Dozen Report: Fishes on the Brink

http://ichthyology.u...c/SFCDesDoz.php
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:14 PM

It's not about the west but A History of Fishing in New Hampshire has alot of info on how damming rivers, unregulated fishing (harvesting whole spawning streams, etc.), and introduced species have negatively impacted the native fish here. Maybe similar situations have happened out west.

#5 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:24 PM

I don't know of a single work that could cover the scope of such a question but there is a bazillion references in different works.

Trout Unlimited is a good place to start, especially for the mountain west region. Trout are the primary, and sometimes the only native fish in some of those streams so TU's narrow focus does not make their work less relevent.

We don't even know all the things that have impact, direct or otherwise. One of the oddball items impacting native fish nobody thought about is the introduction of bullfrogs west of the divide where they were not previously found. One of many.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users