Male Banded Darter

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:30 PM

In north Alabama it's early springtime now, so the male darters are colored up. The attached photo was taken yesterday in the Flint River east of Huntsville during a survey project. It's not the greatest picture, but I'm happy with it since the fish is only a minute out of the water after being caught in a seine in midstream.
Attached File  FlintFeb26_2011_1.jpg   157.25KB   2 downloads

#2 Guest_MrCatfish_*

Guest_MrCatfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:10 PM

Sure is one pretty fish. I would like to get a couple for my tank.

#3 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:59 AM

Handsome! I haven't seen any bandeds yet this year, but the Ulocentras and Dorations are already blazing up here.

#4 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:29 AM

And I'll say thank you for all the bandeds in the Flint River... sometimes we had 3 or 4 such males in a seine haul, which is strangely gratifying.

#5 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:21 PM

That's a really pretty fish.
Not having the good fortune to examine the animal in person, for some reason I had the idea that was not a very colorful species.
That bright green color shows up in a few darters but doesn't seem to be a common color among the fish world at large.

#6 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:19 PM

These guys are very intense in season, but unlike, say, rainbow or snubnose darters, they don't retain much vestige of nuptial colors through the rest of the year. They're more like minnows in that regard: when they're on, they're on, but they go out like a light once the season is done.

I vaguely recall reading that darters had some unique, or at least uncommon, green pigments. So, if I'm remembering correctly, it's a true green pigment, not a combination of yellow pigment and blue structural color as in green frogs and reptiles.

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:17 PM

These guys are very intense in season, but unlike, say, rainbow or snubnose darters, they don't retain much vestige of nuptial colors through the rest of the year. They're more like minnows in that regard: when they're on, they're on, but they go out like a light once the season is done.

I vaguely recall reading that darters had some unique, or at least uncommon, green pigments. So, if I'm remembering correctly, it's a true green pigment, not a combination of yellow pigment and blue structural color as in green frogs and reptiles.

NANFA convention 2003 Hunstville Alabama... Dr. Brady Porter presents "Its not easy being green"... a discussion of how darters express different colors... and yes, green is a tough one...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users