pond liners

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:52 AM

I currently have several small ponds that are lined with the epdm rubber pond liners. I was wondering if anyone has experience using other types of liner that might be cheeper? I have heard you can use rubber roofing material but I have also heard this can poison your fish, anyone have experience with this one way or the other? or use something else entirely with good results? I'd also be interested in where the cheepest of any type of liner can be purchased, including what I already have.

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:10 PM

Brian, I recently spoke to an owner of a large Cincinnati landscape company that specializes in water features. He said that all they use is rubber roofing. He said they have never had any problem with it at all. But I still think it is use at your own risk.

#3 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:31 PM

I think there is just a powder on one side of it and you have to use the other side and wash it off...

Chad

#4 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2007 - 06:14 PM

Nick Zarlinga of the Cleveland Zoo ran some tests on the roofing rubber and found that it was deadly to fish. Of course I imagine there are various formulations out there. The roofing material is designed to withstand direct sun and resist degradation by bacteria, fungi and bird poop. So it contains compounds that may be hostile to living things. I imagine that the real performance depends on the volume of water you have in your pond relative to the surface area of the liner. A large, deep pond would have more water per square foot of liner, which would better dilute any toxins released. A small pond would have less water to dilute them. This may account for the success of the landscape company's application. Or maybe koi and goldfish, which most people stock, are more resistant to toxins, having been breed it captivity for thousands of years. Or maybe Nick's small volume test was not representative of the scenario in an outdoor pond. Anyway, that EPDM stuff is tough as nails. Worth the money, I say. I wonder how much cheaper the roofing grade stuff is anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users