Advice on Keeping green sunfish

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CaptainCaveman_*

Guest_CaptainCaveman_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:47 PM

Sooo my traps I set in the swamp yielded 5 crays and a green sunfish. Any advice on keeping the green guy? He's already eating frozen bloodworms....

I have him in a 55 gallon for now... With LOTS of plants and many hiding places

#2 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:55 PM

Sooo my traps I set in the swamp yielded 5 crays and a green sunfish. Any advice on keeping the green guy? He's already eating frozen bloodworms....

They're fairly territorial. Mine bullied killifish and bluegills. Also, you can easily teach them to take pellets.

Other than that...nothing really special needed to care for them.

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:19 PM

They are a hardy and large mouthed fish... some people say the bassy-est of the sunfish... pretty much all it takes is water and food... and they aren't that picky about either one... although they are known to like crayfish...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:54 PM

I kept a green and a crayfish for a couple of years together. The crayfish had a log to hide under. Just keep the big guy fed and you'll be OK.

#5 Guest_CaptainCaveman_*

Guest_CaptainCaveman_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:51 PM

Thanks everyone, I didn't think they were picky, but wanted to be sure

I'm thinking I ID'd him/her correctly
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Guest_star5328_*

Guest_star5328_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:08 PM

yes, green/fat.

#7 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:04 PM

That's one great looking green!

#8 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:09 PM

To keep a green happy, provide water that is way too hot or way too cold, muddy it up, drop some industrial waste in it, and then make sure the DO is very low. That describes the conditions I'm used to finding them in.

Really, just just treat them like hungry territorial fish. That one you have is pretty, BTW.

#9 Guest_Blinky_*

Guest_Blinky_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2011 - 12:55 PM

That last reply was about dead on. They don't need much except good hides and something to eat. I kept one in a 29G with crayfish, a small chain pickerel and some mussels. The pickerel had it's little spot up high on one end and the green dominated everywhere else. Had it a long time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users