elassoma + enneacanthus?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_skalartor_*

Guest_skalartor_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:50 AM

hi,
do you think that there would be a possibility to keep small sunfish species like e. obesus or chaetodon together with elassoma species in a 64 gallon tank? will the pygmies have any chance to survive?
torben

#2 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:08 AM

I have Elassoma zonatum and Enneacanthus gloriosus together. They get along fine, but I think breeding is unlikely in a tank. I have them in a much smaller tank than you're planning, so you might have better luck.

#3 Guest_skalartor_*

Guest_skalartor_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:19 AM

thanks. but how big is your tank actually? how many fish are in there?

#4 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:17 PM

As long as the Elassoma are adults, and you watch to make sure they get enough food. En.chaetodon has a smaller mouth than gloriosus or obesus and may be less likely to eat or kill Elassoma.

#5 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:04 PM

I have them in a ten gallon with two sunfish, a pair of H. formosa, and maybe six Elassoma.

#6 Guest_skalartor_*

Guest_skalartor_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

Hi,
can anyone share his experience with enneacanthus obesus ord chaetodon with any elassoma species? do you geht them to breed in that tank? has any of the fish ever made an attempt to breed (enneacanthus?).

#7 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

Unless you have an abundance of Elassoma from breeding, I don't see why you would risk it. Elassoma typically breed in species only setups, but some have had breeding success with other small, docile species like Leptolucania ommata. Regarldess, if you want your Elassoma to breed, the most success-laden path to start on is a species only setup.

If you're determined to make a community setup, a lot of the cyprinids and small, lentic Etheostoma species do well with Enneacanthus. Another interesting benthic denizen that would do fine with small Etheostoma is Chologaster cornuta. Select Fundulus species seem to do fine as well.

Edited by blakemarkwell, 04 March 2012 - 06:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users