the cheat minnow

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2011 - 03:11 AM

Is their any good pictures or information out their on the Cheat Minnow Pararhinichthys bowersi I am curious as i seen it mentioned on natureserve, a web search showed that it was once debated whether it was a hybrid or not and it is found in the Ohio River Valley, but not much else. The Rhinicthys in the name caught my attention as I like the nosey dace and the para in front of it makes me wonder if it is a closely related genus.

I just found it odd that a fish in what I assume would be a relatively well sampled area would have little or no pictures or info available on it.

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:52 AM

It's pretty clearly of hybrid origin between R. cataractae and the local Nocomis (micropogon, I think, but I can't remember off the top of my head). The question is whether it is simply a hybrid swarm constantly being replenished by fresh hybridization events, or a legitimate lineage now operating independently of its parent species. Hybrid lineages are tricky to define under any species concept.

It is restricted, as far as I know, to the Cheat River system itself, which is only a small corner of the Ohio Valley. I know I've seen photos of it online; keep searching and you're bound to turn some up.

#3 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:24 AM

Mr. Neely, you should chime in...

#4 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:50 AM

Appears to be a continuously produced hybrid based on nuclear DNA sequencing/microsatellites. Odd, considering odd geographic isolation and widespread sympatry of parental species. Manuscript on this is being held up by a coauthor's foot-dragging...

All my photos of "Cheat minnows" are on film/slides, sorry.

#5 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:34 AM

Neat!

#6 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:46 AM

HERE is some info, if you hadn't see this.

#7 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:27 PM

In that case, maybe the name of the river is what's causing it.
Isn't there a tributary called Fidelity Creek where no hybrids have been observed?

Odd, considering odd geographic isolation and widespread sympatry of parental species.

#8 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:08 AM

I thought that a few of these turned up here in Ohio in the Chagrin River where both longnose dace and river chub occur. We have very few longnose dace over all in the state and this locality would be outside the Ohio basin in the Lake Erie drainage. This is purely off the top of my head though so don't quote me because I have no idea where I read/heard/saw that.

#9 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:29 AM

Individual specimens have turned up in NY, too... but not in the numbers like you can sometimes see in the Cheat and Monongahela drainages in WV and PA.

#10 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:24 AM

Thanks Dave, that may very well have been the case that it was just a single specimen or a few.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users