trip report from 2-1-07

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2007 - 01:27 PM

Telecost and myself had a blast yesterday dip netting in 2 small creeks just south of Stockton, AL. I will post a partial species list and let Telecost expand on it, he also said that he was going to take some photos. The foul weather did not slow us much (but it did help me get my truck stuck in the road shoulder) I need to invest in some chest waders, my hip waders will not quite cut it with this sort of thing.

1st creek

(Lepomis Macrochirus) Bluegill
(Lepomis punctatus) Red Spot sunfish
(ENNEACANTHUS GLORIOSUS) Blue Spotted Sunfish
(Lepomis gulosus) Warmouth
(Lepomis marginatus) Dollar Sunfish (could have been long ear, they were very small)
(Esox niger) Chain Pickerel (they had to have been YOY they were about 1" long)
(Elassoma evergladei) Everglades Pygmy Sunfish

2nd creek

(Pteronotropis signipinnis) Flagfin Shiner

the second creek was very high and difficult to collect in, also we did not have enough time

good trip, I am sure Telecost will be able to expand on the lists above (and perhaps provide pictures)

#2 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2007 - 03:48 PM

Hehehe...telecost. :-P

Nice list you got there. You caught more species of sunfish in one creek then I have in my entire county.

#3 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2007 - 12:22 AM

A great time even though the weather did not cooperate.

We had quite a rain preceded by dry weather. The areas we sampled were quite swollen with water.

I'd like to take the time to encourage NANFA members to reach out and contact other members. HMT321 is a really nice guy. I'll get in the water with him any time. For some reason every single guy I've met from NANFA is really nice and HMT321 is no exception. I can't wait to bring my seines next time I'm down.

I though we'd found signipinnis but I feel we found hypselopterus (sailfin). It's hard to complain with pternotropis.

I have to tell the story...We hit one creek with easy access. We went to the next that looked like easy access but when HMT321 pulled off to the side of the road he slid in the mud almost into the woods :shock: His truck was just about sideways and kicking mud without any traction. Luckily I saw this in time to prevent my car from the same fate. The next vehicle to pass slowed and stopped. HMT asked if he had a tow cable and sure enough we were hooked up in minutes and in the creek. I'm not sure about where you come from but I'd have been stuck for a long time before someone with a tow cable came by to help.

If you ever travel and get stuck, just consider yourself lucky if you travel in southern Alabama. I think the people of Alabama just might be the nicest people around.

I'll get some pictures up tomorrow.

#4 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:34 AM

I though we'd found signipinnis but I feel we found hypselopterus (sailfin). It's hard to complain with pternotropis.

If you ever travel and get stuck, just consider yourself lucky if you travel in southern Alabama. I think the people of Alabama just might be the nicest people around.

Even young signipinnis will have a prevelance of FIRE TRUCK RED accented with yellow. It's quite unmistakable. If this isn't the case, you probably have hypselopterus, you just couldn't believe how pretty "the token pterno" was in real life compared to the crappy pictures that exist of these fish. For whatever reason, they just don't photograph near their potential beauty.

You know, I had ignorant predjudices about 'bammy stuck in my head the first time I went down, and I learned quickly that wasn't the case. Mind you, AL is the only state where I've had a gun pulled on me for being in someone's back yard (which quickly and peacefully resolved itself, as he was also an officer of the law). But it's also the only state where I've gone out to the car to get my Fishes Of book to take in and have an impromptu lesson in local fish diversity at a SUBWAY.

Many other great stories about great people down there. They're also never shy to have a conversation with you about "Coke, Soda or Pop" :)

It wasn't so danged hot in the summer, I'd move there in an instant.

Todd

#5 Guest_fisgokie_*

Guest_fisgokie_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2007 - 06:27 PM

wish someone near shreveport, la would like to go out to fish as well... i wan to take the kids though.... daughter 3 and son nearly 2 would be fun for them to see the lil fishes...

#6 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2007 - 06:41 PM

It wasn't so danged hot in the summer, I'd move there in an instant.

Todd

you just have to pace yourself,

In the summer i move real slow

#7 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2007 - 06:42 PM

wish someone near shreveport, la would like to go out to fish as well... i wan to take the kids though.... daughter 3 and son nearly 2 would be fun for them to see the lil fishes...

Many of us in the Catfish Alliance are within easy distance of Shreveport.

#8 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2007 - 09:36 PM

A couple of shots of the elassoma
Evergladei & zonatum

I'll post an ID request of the others

(sorry about the blurry Evergladei but it's the best I could do)
Elassoma_evergladei.jpg

Elassoma_zonatum.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users