Palmer River, Seekonk, Mass

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:28 PM

Went out today. caught some sticklebacks, eels, darters...and a lamprey....its either a brook or a sea. not sure...you tell me! thanks
Posted Image

#2 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:57 PM

Interesting catch. I wish the water was warmer here. My waders leak and going in with swim trunks this time of year, i learned last week, was painfully cold.

#3 Guest_njJohn_*

Guest_njJohn_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:49 AM

I've been to Seekonk Speedway, nice area.

#4 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:02 PM

anyone else??? come on...yes im begging.

#5 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:08 PM

I don't know any good ID characters for ammocoetes. That info's bound to be out there, I suppose, but a quick search didn't give me anything terribly helpful.

#6 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:23 AM

Go check Jenkins & Burkhead's Freshwater Fishes of Virginia out of the library. It covers the only things it's likely to be and it has a very well-illustrated key... but unless you have a clearer photo (clear enough to accurately count myomeres), I suspect you're going to be pounding sand.

#7 Guest_dmarkley_*

Guest_dmarkley_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:47 AM

Go check Jenkins & Burkhead's Freshwater Fishes of Virginia out of the library. It covers the only things it's likely to be and it has a very well-illustrated key... but unless you have a clearer photo (clear enough to accurately count myomeres), I suspect you're going to be pounding sand.

How big is it?

#8 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:05 AM

How big is it?

~1100pp, ca. 8.5x11"... ;)

#9 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:59 PM

How big is it?

i let him go after the picture. i however did catch a bigger one. ill see if the pics are clear enough. this one was probably 2" max. its either a sea lamprey or brook lamprey....im guessing sea lamprey

#10 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:06 PM

Posted Image

#11 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:31 AM

Ammocoetes are difficult to ID especially from a fuzzy photo. But the two major differences between larval sea lamprey and american brook lamprey are the amount of caudal pigmentation (heavy and widespread in marinus vs usually confined to around the caudal tip in appendix) and pigmentation above the gill openings (pigment almost down to the openings in marinus vs a wide clear band in appendix). Saying this, these appear to be marinus.

Edited by fritz, 12 May 2011 - 09:32 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users