Local population of f. cingulatus dieing out

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_rainbowchrome_*

Guest_rainbowchrome_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2011 - 07:09 PM

The only Alabama source I know of is literally drying up.My area is now in a strong drought and the always very small habitat I'm referring to barely has any water left.I have some in an aquarium but hate to just let the rest die,as I'm sure they will in a month os so unless we get badly needed rain.Man has also altered the habitat for worse in recent years and the tiny spring that feeds their habitate is all but dead now.

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2011 - 07:35 PM

Is this site on the Fort Morgan peninsula?

Edit: The species is supposed to be in the Conecuh and Perdido systems, as well as the Fish River. I hope that hasn't changed?

#3 Guest_uncecufsu_*

Guest_uncecufsu_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:26 PM

If you want collect some and send them my way, I will gladly keep them until said area is again able to support them. I will pay for the shipping. I bet others would be willing to help also.

Adam

#4 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:31 PM

First off I have to question you about whether or not this spring is going to entirely dry up and if you're acting completely within the law by removing the fish from it. I believe you, of course, but I just want you to think about your options here. It would be wise to contact your local wildlife office and ask them if you're within the law before you take any action. It's possible that, this being a species of killifish, the spring has dried up in the past and the killi eggs have hatched the next time the pond refilled. So it might be good to talk to someone who knows more about this particular species and area, and the laws regarding both.

That having been said,

If you seriously want to ship this fish out to new homes in other people's aquariums, I think you should:
1. Go on aquabid.com
2. Start a new auction, titling it "free shipping" or something that'll make people click on it
3. Explain that their home is drying up in the auction text body
4. Set the price at what it would cost you to ship it, and explain that all they have to pay is that shipping price (USPS priority rate is the cheapest)
5. Set the "buy now" price low as well, so people can buy the fish without waiting for the auction timer to end.
6. Repeat after each sale

The only issue is that the US Native Fish section of aquabid has a low number of people looking at it. This is a killifish, too, right? Post an ad under the killifish section. And throw in some snails and post this under the "mixed lots" section. Use lots of key words in the auction's body of text, since many people find fish by using aquabid's search. The more eyes looking at the auction, the more chance the fish will find a home.

I'm sorry I can't take in any myself, and I really do understand how you feel bad for these fish whose home is drying up. Maybe through aquabid and through NANFA, some of these little fish can find a new home. You'll have to work fast though, since most fish die before the water's all gone from low oxygen conditions and whatnot.

#5 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:29 PM

If you're serious about arking a fish population you don't send them out into the world shotgun-style. You have to be able to hope that times change, the original habitat is available, and the original population can be replaced, not a hybrid swarm of what-have-you. But it all depends on what we're talking about in this case which is still unclear...

#6 Guest_rainbowchrome_*

Guest_rainbowchrome_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:52 AM

Is this site on the Fort Morgan peninsula?

Edit: The species is supposed to be in the Conecuh and Perdido systems, as well as the Fish River. I hope that hasn't changed?

It's in the Perdido system.I never saw the fish around Ft Morgan and in any case I think hurricane Ivan eliminated any native freshwater fishes there.I know there were once some brightly colored chrysotus there that were exterminated.

#7 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:01 AM

Taking conservation into ones hands at the drop of a hat and throwing fish all across the country into various forms of captivity makes me quite uncomfortable as it should others affiliated with this organization. That's a great way to assure losing ones right to responsibly use a resource.

#8 Guest_rainbowchrome_*

Guest_rainbowchrome_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:03 AM

One thing I'm considering is just digging the ground out a little deeper hoping that then it won't dry up.The place is now much shallower than it originally was.It's actually a roadside ditch and in recent years the mowers have been running right over the area (it's that small) and when they do the tires flatten out the area making it shallower.
I also spect a farmhouse built in the last few years is siphoning some of the underground water off into a well or some such.
Another possibility is putting some of them in the very nearby stream which the ditch used to flow into.That has to be where they originally came from yet I've never seen cingulaus in the main stream.The stream is very marshy so it's hard to explore much of it for other populations.

#9 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:21 AM

I'll also say that you shouldn't underestimate the ability of any Fundulus species to survive under changing conditions that might seem to us to be harsh. They've dealt with hurricanes and droughts before. It's true that human land use changes are a major threat. But F. cingulatus/auroguttatus is a ditch/slough species, so if there's any water they're probably OK.

#10 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:05 PM

Taking conservation into ones hands at the drop of a hat and throwing fish all across the country into various forms of captivity makes me quite uncomfortable as it should others affiliated with this organization. That's a great way to assure losing ones right to responsibly use a resource.

I agree; I think local wildlife resources should be contacted first. I prefaced my statement with that.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users