A few ID's needed

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:58 AM

The first fish looks like a longnose dace but the body shape seems all wrong. This was caught in the Souhegan River in New Hampshire.

Posted Image

Next are a couple sunfish from an dammed part of Blood Brook in New Hampshire. I couldn't see the opercular tab to see if they were bluegill, pumpkinseed, or redbreast but they look like lepomis so I guessed bluegill but am not confident on that guess.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:25 AM

I agree with your id the third might be a pumpkinseed but I'm not sure on that. But the first two look like they were stepped on or in some other way squished and the third tail fin is damaged must be a tough neighborhood.

#3 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:37 AM

I agree with your id the third might be a pumpkinseed but I'm not sure on that. But the first two look like they were stepped on or in some other way squished and the third tail fin is damaged must be a tough neighborhood.

That is how they all were right from the wild. As for the dace, all the dace (both blacknose and longnose) from the Souhegan were unusually thick tailed and fat bodied compared to what I am used to seeing but that first one had such an odd body shape it left me unsure.

#4 Guest_hornpout_*

Guest_hornpout_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:59 AM

Mmm. Bluegill.

#5 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:15 PM

I need a better headshot for the dace but the color is right for a long nosed dace.

#6 Guest_hornpout_*

Guest_hornpout_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:56 PM

Mmm. Longnose Dace.

#7 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:52 PM

Going out on a limb, as I have only recently seen it, and there are regional variants, but I don't think that is a longnose dace.

#8 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:21 AM

I would cast my vote for blacknose dace

#9 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:06 PM

Longnose Dace and Pumpkinseeds

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users