Caught another P.clarkii

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:39 PM

I was at the same location on the Millstone river looking for another P.clarkii and according to Dan Johnson who I trust pretty much implicitly when it comes to crayfish id's I've managed to catch 2 more. Nice looking crayfish. I caught 2 more tiny ones but they've disappeared under the rocks(I hope)in my 10 gallon tank. Here are the 2 bigger ones I caught. The larger one had just molted and I didn't realize this until it was out of the tank so I kept handling down to a minimum. The smaller one was so fidgety I only got a few decent pictures

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Guest_hornpout_*

Guest_hornpout_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:14 PM

They may be hiding under the rocks, as you say, but I'd double check. These guys are notorious escape artists, and can crawl up out of tank without a snug cover. Back in the day I thought the ones I had put into my 35-gallon were "hiding under the rocks". Ha! My poor dad was so surprised weeks later, when he went to put on his shoes (downstairs, a couple of rooms away) and found one of those suckers all dried up in there. :- They can boogie a ways a way across your floor in search of a roomier tank.

#3 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:49 PM

Trust me I know all about escape artists crayfish. There are curently 2 mia's that I still haven't found yet. There are also 2 frogs most likely still in my apartment and very dead and dry.

Edited by davidjh2, 01 June 2011 - 05:50 PM.

#4 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:27 AM

I will agree, as a child I distinctly remember my mom yelling and waking me up about 2 AM one night to alert me to a fuzzy little demon scratching and crawling around in our hallway. Turns out it was a very mad, lint/dust-covered red swamp cray, which I had a tank full of at the time.

#5 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:07 PM

That cray could also be Procambarus acutus, rather than clarkii.

#6 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:59 PM

They look very similar but if you look at the areola it's closed which is an indicator that it's a clarkii. I've also had 2 biologists say that they are clarkii. Not being one myself I'll take their word for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users