Keeping native fish in N.H. ?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_swendog_*

Guest_swendog_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:20 PM

In my research and Curiosity of what is/is not legal to keep for native fish in my great state of N.H., I came across your wonderful site/forum. There are many arguments as to the legality of natives in the Home Aquarium, I did find this info in the NH Fish and Game Law...

Possession of live fish

No person shall have live lake trout, landlocked salmon, brook trout, black bass, northern pike, or black crappie in their possession, except if the person is a bass tournament permittee or is an aquaculturist permittee or has a permit to import, possess, or release these fish.

Now... let this be said, everyone interperets laws differently,but, as I understand this, sunfish,pickerel,perch, whitefish or any other species you could find in our freshwaters,NOT listed in the rule above, would be O.K. to take home live, as well as any of the baitfish (far too numerous to list here) and put them in a Tank. I am going to ask The Director before I pursue my desire to "keep" any of the fish listed,just to be safe/legal, as Wildlife Officials have the right to inspect any vehicle ,home or wherever, IF they feel a violation has been committed. This is what protects our waters/lands from 'invasive' issues regarding non-native species... Also, in the text above they refer to a special permit that is available, I will look into this permit, and promise to report back as to what it allows and it's cost, so others that may want to engage in NH native fishkeeping will know what they should do to be legal. I am currently testing my local pond water for Ph/Hardness etc..to see what the parameters are for my local species, in the event that it is legal to enjoy them in the home!! I see alot of info here, and my main concern would be Temp of the water, which would likely be in the 70's in my home year round...is this too warm? the pond is currently 59+ and will get warmer as summer progresses, I would assume 70 would be ok. Please chime in if you can assist. Thanks for your time, I hope this helps,
Swendog

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:49 PM

Welcome, and let me congratulate you right away for being interested in following your passion while staying within the confines of the law. I think you will find a lot of good information here. And yes, many people are able to keep a variety of native fish at 'room temperature' year round. There are certainly some of our natives that would prefer it cooler, but there are plenty that will survive and thrive at room temp.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:19 PM

I heard the live native fish you are actually permitted to own and possess in NH are limited to the legal bait fish. But their is a difference between actual rules and enforced rules. I have been fishing since I was a kid and I have yet to have any game officer comment on the posession of a live game fish or pan fish in a bucket of water as long as it was legal size.

#4 Guest_AOmonsta_*

Guest_AOmonsta_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:31 AM

I believe if you legally catch the fish you can keep it for home aquaria, excluding those listed above.

The fish you mentioned are game fish and can be kept only if caught by rod and reel. Just make sure you have a valid fishing license.

Oh and I'm no legality expert so I may be wrong haha.

#5 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2011 - 10:25 AM

I think their are rules against live transport of fish. However I never seen these enforced in all my time fishing. I haven't met a game warden in NH while sampling though so I am unsure if they will react differently on seeing a net.

#6 Guest_CaptainCritter_*

Guest_CaptainCritter_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:28 AM

Do any of you guys know of a good place to catch Rock Bass near the Bradford,VT / Wells River,VT / Woodsville,NH / Haverhill,NH / Littleton,NH area ? All these towns border the Connecticut River. Fellow New Englander here. Thanks for looking.

#7 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:52 PM

Do any of you guys know of a good place to catch Rock Bass near the Bradford,VT / Wells River,VT / Woodsville,NH / Haverhill,NH / Littleton,NH area ? All these towns border the Connecticut River. Fellow New Englander here. Thanks for looking.

I never fished in that part of the state, but checking on the Fish and Wildlife's suggested fishing locations, every part of the state touching the connecticut river has the river suggested for rock bass.

#8 Guest_SplitHorizon_*

Guest_SplitHorizon_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:29 PM

I am trying to start an aquaponics garden in my basement and I wanted to keep trout, but I could find no way to get them legally so I emailed the state a couple times and the following are excerpts from the emails.

My first email:
Hello I am starting a home aquaponics project with my son as a science project. The Fish holding tank will be in my basement which stays at around 60 +/- 5 and I would like a ~10 trout to drive the system. Can I buy small trout from the Milford (or another) hatchery?

Thanks so much for your time.

Their reply to this (I did not include the email attachment for the application that they sent to me):
You will also need to print off the attached Aquaculture Application and complete it for a Non Aquaculture permit.

My reply to that:
So, to keep trout in a fish tank as (not for consumption) pets and use my garden as a filter requires a 20 dollar license? Does just keeping trout in a fish tank require a license (if bought from a reputable source)?
Does keeping other native species (if bought from a reputable source) require a license as well?
I appreciate your prompt response and your willingness to help.

Then they gave me the final word:

My name is Jason Smith. I am the Hatcheries Supervisor with the Fish and Game Department. I have been asked to respond to your request to keep trout in you basement.

Our current rules do specify all fish as controlled other than “ornamental aquarium fish”. This means possession, importation and release of all fish other then “ornamental aquarium fish”. I do not believe trout fit this description. New Hampshire Fish and Game also controls “aquaculture”. Whereas, you do not intend on propagating, harvesting, planting, promoting growth or transporting these fish in, on or from any waters of the State you really do not fit this description either.

Unfortunately, our rules also do not allow the possession of fish without a permit unless you can provide proof as to where you obtained them. Provided you are not importing, harvesting or releasing these fish, I believe you should be able to conduct your project by keeping the receipt from where you purchase them. This will serve as proof as to where you obtained them. This will NOT allow you to catch your own fish from the wild and possess them live or import them without the proper permit. This does allow you to purchase them from a licensed in-state aquaculture facility and possess them in your home.

Please keep this e-mail for your records.

Thank you,

Jason Smith
NH Fish and Game Department.

Now, he told me to keep this for my records, so I don't have a clue as to how sweeping of a policy this is, but it does illustrate that New Hampshire officials are willing to help you out - and that it was just two emails over couple days, so it wasn't a arduous task.

My recommendation is just ask the fish and game about your circumstance and they'll probably help out.

#9 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:01 PM

Congratulations. My own experience (in WA) was rather more like talking to a block of cheese.

#10 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2011 - 04:04 AM

Congratulations. My own experience (in WA) was rather more like talking to a block of cheese.

I had the same experience going to my regional fish and Game HQ and asking about it. I am glad you got a response from writing them.

#11 Guest_Ournativeson_*

Guest_Ournativeson_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:45 PM

congrats, sounds like a similar policy to what we have hear in Maine. We have to have a permit to hold natives (called a one time stocking permit), as well as keep records if we buy them, and have a transport permit to transport them if they are purchased.

#12 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:17 PM

I called the guy in charge of inland fisheries today curious on the rules, the rules changed recently you can transport and keep alive NH native fish except for trout, bass, crappie, and pike.

Importation from out of state is the iffy issue though. Their rules technically require a permit but are reviewed before accepting applicants and made for pond stocking and fish farms, said fish also require health inspections. They said technically I should have a permit for fish ordered online and keep the receipts, but they said they'd let it slide as ornamentals in this one case.

#13 Guest_FishingNH603_*

Guest_FishingNH603_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

So am I getting this right..... If you pay to get a permit from the state (paying once) then buy fish from the state (paying twice) its ok? But after paying for my fishing license and catching a trout I have to release it or cull it instead of making it a feature in my home? Live Free or Die comes to mind... True Freedom is silly fallacy....

#14 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:06 PM

So am I getting this right..... If you pay to get a permit from the state (paying once) then buy fish from the state (paying twice) its ok? But after paying for my fishing license and catching a trout I have to release it or cull it instead of making it a feature in my home? Live Free or Die comes to mind... True Freedom is silly fallacy....

Light up a cigarette in front of the wrong person on top of Loon Mt and see what happens! A friend of mine could tell you...... You guys definitely need a new state motto!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users