seeds

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MAZUREL_*

Guest_MAZUREL_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:55 AM

Hi All,

Were can I order seeds from native waterplants, I am looking for a company or distributor who can send to the Netherlands;

Thanks,

Casper

#2 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:26 AM

Check with these guys found here : http://www.ehow.com/...tic-plants.html

Just make sure you check your import regulations. And those companies should know their export regulations.

#3 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:52 PM

If you know the species you're looking for, you could type it into the search bar of aquabid and see if it's for sale.

I got a nice large portion of Ceratophyllum demersum off of aquabid in the "pond" section. If you have a large tank, you can buy their smallest pond sized shipment and it'll be the right size to plant your 55 or 100 gallon tank. It's a lot less expensive that a website like liveaquaria.com, where you order the individual strands of the plant.

Edit: Of course I was referring to buying plant snippings and bits of live plant tissue. The shipping speed doesn't kill them off too badly. I got plants from Indonesia (that is halfway around the world from Ohio, where I am) and they were okay. You might not have to resort to buying seeds in order to get American plants, and some plants like Ceratophyllum demersum don't really create seeds so buying them isn't really possible.

Edited by EricaWieser, 22 June 2011 - 01:12 PM.

#4 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:23 PM

You need to be extraordinarily careful if you are importing/exporting plants to and from overseas. The U.S. and many other countries require a phytosanitary certificate to import plants and seeds. In the U.S., you also need a permit from APHIS if you are importing more than 12 specimens. Mazurel, I would make sure you determine what the permit and certificate requirements for the Netherlands are.

I would caution anyone buying plants (or fish) from other countries from sites like aquabid or ebay to be sure that they are in compliance with all of the regulations for their country and state. In the U.S., one can not simply import living material through the mail without the proper certificates and permits.

Some pertinent information from APHIS can be found here: http://www.aphis.usd...ting_faqs.shtml

#5 Guest_MAZUREL_*

Guest_MAZUREL_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:28 PM

To the Forum,
Thank you for the advise, I realise it is not so easy at all due to all regulations, we are restricted to. But overhere still a lot of native american plants are for sale. I say still as some are likely invasive , but I prefer the more sympathetic word " Neofyte "; Like Pontederia cordata, Lobelia cardinalis Vallisneria, Bacopa spec. Eleocharis, Cabomba, Hediotes salzmanni, these plants I do have already in my collection most of it emers growing , and Ludwigia species, I thought yesterday I bought something interesting. Ludw. rotunifolia. But is a mistake; they confused it with Rotala rotundifolia, They make a lot of mistakes in giving information to the public.
Thanks anyway, I noticed yesterday googling; Brasenia schreiberi is on many places for sale on nurcery's in the US. People who search always find something.

Casper

#6 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:22 PM

Casper,
I'm sure you are correct that there are a lot of US natives where you are (likewise there are a lot of Asian species here). It's not that their sale is prohibited, but that if being imported they need to have a phytosanitation certificate to enter and usually a permit. This is to prevent the plants from accidentally bringing in diseases or other aquatic/terrestrial hitchhikers. A species that is legal to sell that is grown in the country that it is being sold in doesn't need the same permits as one being imported from outside the country (although in the U.S., there are some states that also require phytosanitation certificates for plants from other states due to emerging diseases and invasives (one example is fire ants, which are moved around in nursery pots).

The point is just to be careful - no point getting in legal trouble over an aquarium.

That being said, many commercial nurseries are equiped to give phytosanitation certificates. I would email them and ask. My point mainly is suggest that people be very careful on auction websites if you are bidding on items from other countries.

Out of curiosity, where are you seeing Brassenia for sale in the U.S.? I am always trying to find vendors for restoration projects. No point specifying a plant if it isn't available (or contract grown)!

#7 Guest_MAZUREL_*

Guest_MAZUREL_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:53 PM

Hi " Native Planter ", I saw Bras schreiberi on several nurcery's but getting seeds is a probably more difficult. And thanks for the warning. But I know there is a lot of smuggeling with plants and pieces of plants over post. But I dont want to be part of that. Anyway thanks for all the advise.
To be the first importer of fire ants to Europe is not something to be proud of.... . I know all too well how devastating invasive species can be. I am now more busy to find out what more native american species are available already in Europe at the moment.

Regards,

Casper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users