Kokosing River Locations

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jasonpatterson_*

Guest_jasonpatterson_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:23 PM

I'm from Mt Vernon, originally, and never realized until I moved that in many places around the country, river and sewer are loose synonyms. Now that I know that I grew up 500 yards from one of the better quality streams in Ohio, I'm interested in investigating it a little more thoroughly. I'd consider asking for people to go collecting with me, but my hours are weird, so I'll probably only get to go for a couple on a random Wednesday morning or some such.

My question is, do any of you know a place with public access that a guy can sample on his own? I'm a dipnet kind of guy, though I have a small seine that I use poorly on my own as well. There are a few parks right in Mt. Vernon with very good access to the river, but the channel through town has been resurfaced so many times that I don't know if it would be worth bothering. I know smbass is pretty darned familiar with this area, hoping that I can get his input as well as others.

My main intent is to see what I can see in the river. I may collect a few darters while I'm at it, but mostly it's about exploring.

#2 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:49 PM

I wish I was more helpful than this, but here is a link to contact the Ohio Department of Natural Resources: http://www.dnr.state...50/default.aspx

Fishing maps: http://www.dnr.state...78/Default.aspx

The issue is that parks, although they are places where you can go hang out outside, aren't necessarily places where you can fish. The DNR can give you a few spots that are both nice places and legal to sample in.

Edited by EricaWieser, 25 June 2011 - 09:50 PM.

#3 Guest_jasonpatterson_*

Guest_jasonpatterson_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:09 PM

The parks I'm referring to are city parks and are definitely places you can fish. :) I'm more concerned with the condition of the river bed in town. Before I went off to CWRU (you kids and your Case U... bah) 15 years ago, it was fairly regularly scraped smooth, presumably for flood control. If collecting is reasonable in town I'd be more than happy to go there, but I am fairly doubtful of that.

ETA: I had also considered downstream of the dams at Knox and Kokosing Lakes, of course with an eye to distance from the spillways and blah blah blah.

Edited by jasonpatterson, 25 June 2011 - 10:13 PM.

#4 Guest_catherinecarney_*

Guest_catherinecarney_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:51 AM

Hi guys--

I live in Mount Vernon--the last time I collected in the Kokosing it was at the main bike trail parking area where Mount Vernon Avenue crosses the river. This was several years ago, but the NANFA-ites went nuts at the diversity of indicator species we pulled up in small seines and dipnets in the course of one August afternoon (over 20 species, including 5 species of darters, a madtom,assorted dace, stonerollers, sculpins, etc). The stretch on either side of Mt V Ave boasts rocky riffles upstream and sandstone bedrock down. Most of the water is less than waist deep at this time of the year, with a couple of drop offs that go to 6 feet.

If you are in the neighborhood, let me know. Would love to get the nets out and chase fish!

#5 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:17 AM

I had no idea there were other fish people right in my area... Anyways it depends on what species your looking for but the Kokosing is impressive as far as the fish diversity. I rather not get too specific on localities on an internet forum but there is plenty of public access to the river. The further downstream you go the better diversity of darter you will find but if your looking for colorful dace you are better off upstream in tributaries to the north branch. There are about 10 darter species found in the kokosing including one state endangered species. You have to know where to look to find that one though but many of the others are quite common. If you want some more details or want to meet up (I may be able to get away from work on a wens morning or even go sampling and call it work...) send me an e-mail smbass444 at yahoo.com.

#6 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:46 PM

Hi Cathy Carny! I wonder if I was on that NANFA outing you mentioned. Jason, good to hear of your interest in the Kokosing. Yeah, it's pretty cool. Some great snorkling and netting. Nice water clarity most of the time. Nice hard substrate, so not too much silt. In hilly country with restricted agriculture, so not too much nutrient input (fertilizer and soil runoff). Not too many big towns, so more limited wastewater inputs. I'm in Delaware Ohio. I go up that way from time to time. Keep me posted on any trips, impromptu or planned. I have a flexible schedule. Are you in school now, Jason? Are you in Mt Vernon?

Email me: mark@jonahsaquarium.com

#7 Guest_catherinecarney_*

Guest_catherinecarney_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:56 AM

Hi Cathy Carny! I wonder if I was on that NANFA outing you mentioned. Jason, good to hear of your interest in the Kokosing. Yeah, it's pretty cool. Some great snorkling and netting. Nice water clarity most of the time. Nice hard substrate, so not too much silt. In hilly country with restricted agriculture, so not too much nutrient input (fertilizer and soil runoff). Not too many big towns, so more limited wastewater inputs. I'm in Delaware Ohio. I go up that way from time to time. Keep me posted on any trips, impromptu or planned. I have a flexible schedule. Are you in school now, Jason? Are you in Mt Vernon?

Email me: mark@jonahsaquarium.com

Hi Mark--

You might have been on that collecting trip--it was the middle of August if I remember correctly....

Anyway, hope to get the nets out this spring, and the Greater Cinci Killifish Assn will have a meeting/collecting trip at my house in Mount Vernon in late June, hope I can get a bunch of NANFA members to come as well. I also have a first order creek that runs through my property that has northern red bellied dace, northern two lined salamanders, johnny daters, and other "stuff" for those who want to stay close to home....

#8 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:00 AM

Only Southern Redbelly Dace in Ohio but they are quite abundant in small streams in the Kokosing Drainage. Did you see the NANFA convention is here in Ohio this year? You should invite your local club to attend!

#9 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

Great! Put me on your mailing list!

Hi Mark--

You might have been on that collecting trip--it was the middle of August if I remember correctly....

Anyway, hope to get the nets out this spring, and the Greater Cinci Killifish Assn will have a meeting/collecting trip at my house in Mount Vernon in late June, hope I can get a bunch of NANFA members to come as well. I also have a first order creek that runs through my property that has northern red bellied dace, northern two lined salamanders, johnny daters, and other "stuff" for those who want to stay close to home....

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users