Instant Green Water

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:21 AM

I just (accidentally) invented a method for making instant green water (That is, microscopic, pelagic, green algae and other organisms that are potentially useful as food for newly hatched fishes). Leave a $15, four foot diameter kiddie pool outdoors until it rains enough to fill it 1/4 full with rain water. Bring home one pound of live crayfish from your local stream and add them to the pool. Fill the pool up with dechlorinated tap water. Leave outdoors for one night or until the racoons eat half of them. The following evening, remove all of the crayfish. By noon the next day, you have green water!

Edited by itsme, 27 June 2011 - 10:25 AM.

#2 Guest_jasonpatterson_*

Guest_jasonpatterson_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:30 PM

Leave outdoors for one night or until the racoons eat half of them.

These are different amounts of time? Surprised the raccoons left half of them...

#3 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:15 PM

You can also stick a piece of lettuce and a bit of water in a blender, press blend, and then pour the resulting mixture and a cup of pond water into a clear container. Leave that container in the sun for a day, and instant green water, or so I've heard.

Bad luck with the raccoons. They love backyard ponds and pools. Also, the crayfish might have gotten up and walked away. They're notorious for not staying in the aquariums and containers people try to keep them in.

#4 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:08 PM

These are different amounts of time? Surprised the raccoons left half of them...

I don't know. This is just what happened. There were a lot of crayfish. I had intended to eat them myself!

#5 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:12 PM

You can also stick a piece of lettuce and a bit of water in a blender, press blend, and then pour the resulting mixture and a cup of pond water into a clear container. Leave that container in the sun for a day, and instant green water, or so I've heard.

Bad luck with the raccoons. They love backyard ponds and pools. Also, the crayfish might have gotten up and walked away. They're notorious for not staying in the aquariums and containers people try to keep them in.

Maybe, but there were several half-crayfish left, so I suspected foul play! :biggrin:

The lettuce thing sounds like less work! :smile2:

Update: The green water is getting greener by the minute. Must be lots of crayfish juice in there! Wish I had something to feed it too. No doubt, by the time I do, it will all have dissappeared. ](*,)

#6 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:03 AM

what happens if i use 1.5 pounds of crayfish (just got a laugh out of the measurement!)

#7 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:18 AM

I had intended to eat them myself!

Only 1 lb? You must like the heads.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users