Appalachian Aquatic Delights

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:14 AM

Hey that is cool Michael. Thank you for the research and the sharing of it.
Things like this is what keep my interest fresh and in constant curiosity and wonder, and bewilderment.
:)
A perfect example of why we should not be releasing / relocating our baitfish or pets.

#42 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:48 AM

Great stuff as always, Lance and Todd! I have many exciting memories of the Emory-Obed system- it's a beautiful place for unfortunate events to occur. You guys were probably there too early to see it, but large parts of the system are now infested with The Dread Hydrilla. Posted Image

#43 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:27 PM

So the old guys in 1878 knew about this reddish tint on some whitetails. Lance, I didn't follow all the geography in the thread. Could it be said that the place you were at was from the general area of Nashville?

Michael I would say no. This was about 2.5 hours from Nashville.

#44 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:36 PM

Honestly guys the best way to see things in that system is to float it via canoe. TR Russ's thesis work on spotfin chub distribution and habitat required miles and miles of snorkeling. I couldn't even tell you some of the places I went with him, I just know they were so far off the beaten path the only way to get to them was by getting in at one location and getting out way downstream, walking for miles in the woods first down logging roads, or driving through train (not always abandoned) tunnels. You have to do a bit of dragging through the shallows, but you could easily make it a 2 or 3 day trip and stop at some awesome primitive camp sites, do some great fishing for dinner, and see more fish in three days then you can remember. It's odd to think in some stretches of habitat that tangerine darters were the most common benthic fish.

#45 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:54 PM

Matt, that sounds like real biology...

#46 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:20 AM

awesome photography. im to scared to put my $3,000 dollar camera in the water. lol. although i don't have fish that beautiful around my way! i guess ill just stick to models for now haha. id love to be able to get in the water and do some of this work with my different lenses!

#47 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:12 AM

I've gone down large sections of the Obed/Emory in both kayak and 1-man inflatable raft- I'd suggest the raft in low-flow conditions. Much easier to portage, and much easier to haul back up the gorge face in the dark and rain...

#48 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:11 AM

nice pictures! its been a very long while since i've been on here and it was really great to see some amazing pictures of native fish again. i also appreciate the herp pictures!

#49 Guest_KI4WLG_*

Guest_KI4WLG_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:54 PM

Wow, I got linked to this thread from another and I have to say that is some excellent photography! Makes me want to get my folks to ship me my snorkel gear and a wetsuit top form our collection and go to the mountains!

#50 Guest_Katfisher_*

Guest_Katfisher_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:24 AM

Wow !! Great photos ... worthy of being published in National Geographic. There's an idea, write a story of North American native fishes and the impact humans have on them. And include those photos! I sure most people don't realize how beautiful our natives can be. I didn't before I came found this forum.

#51 Guest_KI4WLG_*

Guest_KI4WLG_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:48 PM

Wow !! Great photos ... worthy of being published in National Geographic. There's an idea, write a story of North American native fishes and the impact humans have on them. And include those photos! I sure most people don't realize how beautiful our natives can be. I didn't before I came found this forum.

+1^ Totally agree with this!

#52 Guest_don212_*

Guest_don212_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:04 PM

wow that was really beautiful and educational,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users