Longnose tankmates

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:44 PM

Hello to everyone, it has been ages since my last activity on nanfa!

Although I have not been as involved as I have been in the past, I have continued to keep my longnose gar over the past few years. As it is time for me to head off to college at Boston University to study marine science, I have convinced my dad to keep this gar in the soon to be empty 100 gallon as I tear down my reef tank.

A 100 gallon seems like it would be fairly lonely with just the gar, so I was wondering if anyone had some tank mate suggestions. Gar seem to be pretty docile when not hunting so obviously something that is pretty peaceful as well. I was thinking maybe a crappie or perch? The gar is currently in a 40 gallon and measures about 12 inches (I know, this is a much needed upgrade)

Thanks for all of your suggestions, its nice to cruise the forum again.

-James

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2011 - 02:06 PM

You're going to BU? You should try to meet Professor Les Kaufman and work with him if possible. Tell him I said so, hopefully that would impress him.

#3 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2011 - 11:10 PM

I've heard Bowfin do well with Gar, but 100 gallons is too small for a 2 year or older Bowfin.

#4 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2011 - 11:19 PM

I hope I'm not off topic, but what fish tanks do you plan to keep in your dorm room? I had a 10 gallon my first two years in college and a 55 gallon the last two.

#5 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:22 PM

I've heard Bowfin do well with Gar, but 100 gallons is too small for a 2 year or older Bowfin.

They do. And it's not. Non-edible sunfish do well with them too. Sometimes TOO well.

#6 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:14 PM

Bowfin with LNG is a bit of a risky situation.. The best fish to keep with your LNG are other LNG and food..
LNG are not much of a community fish unless you are keeping them in insanely large situations and tend to be rather delicate as far as Gar go.

#7 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:28 PM

Bowfin with LNG is a bit of a risky situation.. The best fish to keep with your LNG are other LNG and food..
LNG are not much of a community fish unless you are keeping them in insanely large situations and tend to be rather delicate as far as Gar go.

Bah! What's life without a little risk? Why, in the Tank O' Death I have....
Hmm, never mind - I see your point.

#8 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:44 PM

You're going to BU? You should try to meet Professor Les Kaufman and work with him if possible. Tell him I said so, hopefully that would impress him.

Yes, I am going to BU! and sounds good, I'm really hoping to get involved right from the start.

Unfortunatly BU does not allow any animals in the dorms, but i am hoping to get a position taking care of the reef tanks in my department's labs to help with my seperation anxiety from my own tanks.

As for the LNG, a bowfin could be a possibility. So you dont think a few sunfish/panfish are my best bet?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users