Photo

Greensboro Area Family Attractions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 05 February 2007 - 05:18 PM

Yes, families are welcome. We'll have info on nearby attractions, parks, shopping, etc from the local visitors bureau. Just off the top of my head there's Guilford Courthouse Nat Military Park (rev war site), Alamance Battleground, Spencer train museum (where the "Wreck of the Old 97" was hauled in), Old Salem living history village, Burlington Outlet Malls, NC Zoo (30 miles), Uwharrie Natl Forest, Hanging Rock St Pk, Pilot Mtn St Pk, other museums & stuff in Durham (50 miles) and Raleigh (80 miles).

We'll also have a spouse & kids special rate to attend the Friday night banquet, and the banquet talk should be of general interest to everyone (no i dont know what its gonna be yet - any offers?). I dont think we've specifically planned family events in the past (others chime in?) but you can certainly post messages here to find out who else is coming with families, kids ages, interests, etc.

gerald

Uland wrote:
I want to bring my family but I have two children that will not be able to attend the sampling events. Do others bring their entire family? If so, what does the rest of the family do when the group heads out to sample?
Do the wives and children get together and participate in dry activities as a group?

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#2 Uland

Uland
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 05 February 2007 - 05:54 PM

Thank you for taking the time to post here Gerald.

I'll have a boy (5) and a girl less than one year. I'm sure the kids will head off to the zoo for a day and the train museum will attract my son. Maybe we can get a few of the gang to coordinate?
Floats up, lead down

• Guests

Posted 05 February 2007 - 06:14 PM

My children will be there as well. My younger son is about Uland's age, and my older son will be in the water.

#4 EdBihary

EdBihary
  • NANFA Member

Posted 05 February 2007 - 08:28 PM

My younger son is about Uland's age...

So you are old enough to be Uland's father? You look remarkably youthful! :wink:

I never gave any thought to taking my children, or my non-fishgeek wife. Maybe I should consider that. I imagine we'll be spending so much time conventioneering, that we'll never see our disinterested spouses. But the children may want to go collecting. It would be interesting to know if the target streams will be appropriate for children, or too deep/fast for them?

#5 ashtonmj

ashtonmj
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 05 February 2007 - 08:34 PM

I highly recommend both the national battlefield and Old Salem. My fiance worked at both while getting her degree at UNC-Greensboro and I have visited both and enjoyed them.
Matt Ashton
Chesapeake Bay
Baltimore, MD

#6 NateTessler13

NateTessler13
  • NANFA Member

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:07 AM

My friend and I are both bringing our girlfriends...all recommendations for stuff to keep them busy are welcomed. Even though they'll probably just want to go out shopping and spending all our fish money...
Nate Tessler
Environmental Scientist

Link to my NANFA Gallery