Helpful link for differentiating between Elodea, Egeria, and Hydrilla

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:18 AM

I was trying to get an identification for a plant I was encountering in some streams in Illinois, and I came across this link;

Weedy plants of the U.S.

It helped me determine whether the plant in question was an Elodea sp., Egeria sp., or a Hydrilla sp. Each of these three types of plants can look rather similar. I just thought I'd pass it along, as it may help others ID plants in the field.

-Nate

#2 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:37 AM

Nice link! Thanks for posting it.

#3 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:32 AM

from that site: " Hydrilla usually has whorls of 5. Finally, while Elodea and Egeria have smooth leaves, Hydrilla's feels rough to the touch. This is because there are small teeth on the midrib. With this information, you should be able to distinguish these three major noxious aquatic plants"

I wish it was that easy. A lot of the Hydrilla I see in NC has whorls of 3 leaves when it's small or in nutrient-poor water, and the midrib spines are either absent or too small to feel or see without magnification. A few times I've brought home what I thought was native Elodea, and after a few weeks in water with more minerals/nutrients the new growth has Hydrilla's characteristic 4-5 leaf whorls.

#4 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:20 PM

I used to know the difference. Now I'm so confused!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users