Photo

Snorkel Suits?

31 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:50 PM

So I am planning for this fall or for sure next year and want to get a thicker wet suit. I am convince that some of y'all are not really tougher than me, just better 'suited' (well, OK, maybe you are tougher than me, I love living the hot south but that still means I need to upgrade my suit). I am pretty sure that my current, 40 dollar suit is only a 2 mil.

Looking on line I see some different styles... full body, back zip, front zip, and "farmer john types" with a sleeveless body part and a separate jacket. Saw one of these where both pieces were 5 mil... they advertise that it therefor is giving you 10 mil over your body core.

Any of you out there more experienced than I with wet suits. What is your opinion about these styles? Pros... Cons... suggestions?

I kind of like the 2 piece idea, but am wondering if there is any reason why one type would be better than the other?

Whatta y'all think?
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#2 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:55 PM

Michael,

2 mm isn't really a wet suit. That's like the recommended suit for SCUBA diving in the Keys during the summer or water sports where you're not actually in the water. Even in the hottest of TN summers, you need around 5 mm for prolonged periods of snorkeling in moving water. I prefer two piece because, well you have choices. If I new it would be a little cooler water, say Blue Ridge/hypolimetic release water like the Hiwassee, Ocoee, Little Tennessee, etc. I'd go with both pieces on days I was going to be in the water for more than 2 hours. But for streams that aren't up in the Blue Ridge the top piece suited me for 6 hours + a day. Don't underetsimate the power of a hood to save your core temp. A two piece can also offer you some extended snorkeling seasons. Casper and I were in the Conasauga in early April several years ago. It was cold, but tolerable for about 45 minutes before I had to get out and bask on a rock. Also, 10 mm of neoprene can be a bit to hassle with in current, or if you want to do a free dive, so I would wear belt with a 5lb weight centered over my back.

#3 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:16 AM

I snorkel bare skin in the Conasauga all day in the summer... but then i have a hefty layer of blubber. Like a walrus. However when its cold its cold. I just double up 2 suits and can make it pretty good, but below 55 it is close to unbearable, even with gloves, hood, and socks. 60 is my general degree line. Thicker suits are much harder to put on and motion is restricted. Layering and taking off thick suits creates an issue while taking the commonly needed bladder relief in cold wet constant water. They make a product called "Sink the Stink" which we use and it works.

A reasonable consideration is 2 piece suits, Farmer John style, but really that is just like layering. They also make fleece liners which are pretty good adding a bit of layering and easier on and off of a tight wetsuit. Perhaps you should visit me on a Conasauga guide trip and you could try on a multitude of different suits?

One thing i see so many snorkelers not take advantage of is hoods. Getting cold water in the ears is "shivering". Keeping it out lets you peer under the surface line for topminnows and take deep rock grabbing plunges for look sees under creavases, in comfort. It also keeps a lot of body brain heat in, keeps you hair out of the mask and acting as a algae and scum filter, minimizes ear infections / swimmers ear, and wraps your mask for non scratch transport. I always have my hood.

I do wonder about this clothing brand called body armour. It seems like it would be ideal as an undergarment while snorkeling. Quick dry, ultra smooth, adds a bonus layer... but expensive. Anyone have experiences wearing it?

Really there are just a LOT of variables to comfort. Besides water temp there is rushing flow in riffles, runs and rapids which is much colder and pulls your body heat away quickly, how much sunshine is on your back ( black suits are best ), the air temperature, your metabolism, health and blood flow, your chub factor ( skinny people get cold much, much faster ), your motivation ( are you excited or tired ).

Though i often dont, it is good to wear a wetsuit. They offer protection from abrasions and bites, right now i have cuts on a knee from crawling through riffles ( watch out for broken glass! ) and a couple leech marks that are itching, slowly healing.

In the end if your an active snorkeler you will have a variety of wetsuits and gear for different conditions.

( Good advice from Matt A as well ).

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:08 PM

2 mm isn't really a wet suit.

This is what I have come to realize in the Ocoee in March... in the Conasauga in November... I am just punishing myself, and I am ready for a change.

Don't underestimate the power of a hood to save your core temp.

Agree, I have already gone with gloves and a cap, which both make a tremendous difference.

Thanks, good to hear from someone that has actually used a two piece...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:16 PM

Perhaps you should visit me on a Conasauga guide trip and you could try on a multitude of different suits?

Its about time for me to do that anyway... but I forgot that you have all those suits when you are running a trip...

Had a very nice bear skin snorkel in the Flint River last Saturday... not as clear as you would like, but it was blazing hot and the water was nice... and we saw the most yellow Percina nigrofaciata I have ever seen... as GT man I was very impressed with his black and gold!
Posted Image
but now back to snorkel suits...

#6 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:48 PM

I do wonder about this clothing brand called body armour. It seems like it would be ideal as an undergarment while snorkeling. Quick dry, ultra smooth, adds a bonus layer... but expensive. Anyone have experiences wearing it?

i have a set i ues for fishing up north over the boarder. it is warm and well worth the coin.
you get what you pay for.

#7 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:53 PM

Michael, I have been very happy with a 5mm full body one piece and a 3/5mm hooded vest.
Though I will say, a dry suit would be ideal after this springs' early adventures.

#8 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:36 AM

Michael,

If you didn't have your halloween darter specimen, now you do :)

Todd

#9 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:26 PM

i know this is an old thread, but I have been looking for a suit. Now my issue is I am short and round. well ok, I am 5'11 but my weight is 310. Most of the suits are measured sizes (when looking online) fall well into different categories for each measurement of myself. How would I go about knowing which size I would need? I was looking at this one (just to see the size differences) http://www.joedivera...Wetsuit/AKMS058

so according to that one, based on my measurements I range from a Med to a 5xl...
Would it be best to just go to a dive shop for this?

#10 Guest_smilingfrog_*

Guest_smilingfrog_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:56 AM

Would it be best to just go to a dive shop for this?

That would probably be your best bet, I fall between sizes as well, and it's much easier to just be able to try something on than try to figure out where I fit on the size charts.

#11 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:51 PM

That would probably be your best bet, I fall between sizes as well, and it's much easier to just be able to try something on than try to figure out where I fit on the size charts.

for me its the darn ex-football player build that is causing the issue .. LOL.. I will probably go next week tuesday to a dive shop to ask around.

#12 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:51 AM

I second going to a dive shop. They can get you a custom suit, which sounds like what you will need. You'll pay a little more, but you'll be more comfortable and therefore be able to enjoy the water and thus fish longer.

#13 Guest_don212_*

Guest_don212_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:51 PM

1 pc suits are more efficient, less leakage best is semi dry, that is it has seals on wrists and ankles, 2 pc are more adaptable, hoods are really important almost half your heat exits from your head. 7 mm is good for cold water, more rubber means more floatation, and a little less flexibility, with a 5 or 7 mil you would need wts if you need to dive. If you are shallow skip fins, get good heavy duty wet boots. Fins stir up the bottom, scare fish more. you can wear contacts with mask, but if you flood mask they will float out, unless you close your eyes, for only a little extra standard diopter lenses are available at dive shops, but asstigmatism will require an expensive custom mask. snorkels allow you to keep your face inthe water. they come as basic tubes, exta large tubes, with purge valves, anti flooding devices, a good snorkel can make a big difference. important thing about masks is fit, make sure you try it on, so it won't leak.

#14 Guest_Orval3_*

Guest_Orval3_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:38 AM

Anyone buy one of the diving suits from either LIDL or ALDI.
Only looking to have a splash around the local beaches, do a bit of snorkel diving.
Are these diving suits and good for Irish waters and are they good value. I have read they are cheap and nasty and others saying the LIDL diving gear was great value.
Any experiences of these and if possible.
What is the difference between the diving suits they have now and the ones I was tempted by a few weeks back.
In March the LIDL had diving combo suits same price 99.99 but they were all black in color.
This is the latest LIDL full diving suit.
Blue and black and same price. Is it just color difference?

#15 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:44 AM

Since I started this thread, I should tell you that I found a place on line... that had a farmer john, and a jacket, and a hood, and boots, and gloves... pretty much everything for $200... wet suit package... 7mm should help keep me warm... and two piece flexibility will hopefully make it useful even when it is not so cold.

And it seems to be under the fishmas tree right now... so I can't tell you how will it works... or lasts... but for the price and considering that I don't use it year round... it seemed like a good deal for me.

#16 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:50 PM

Never! Never! Borrow a suit!

#17 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:00 AM

Never! Never! Borrow a suit!

I am almost afraid to ask why... but... why... I mean I have worn a suit form an outfitter... day trip rafting is a very cold river in the NW... and during the Conasauga snorkels... and even borrowed one for a freezing swim in the Hiawassee... and have had no problems that I know of...

#18 Guest_Anglr200_*

Guest_Anglr200_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:49 PM

I snorkel a lot colder water than most of you guys when I'm counting salmonids on the west coast, but these streamcount drysuits from OS systems are awesome. It does make it hard to dive deep because of increased bouyancy.
OS Stream Count drysuit

#19 Guest_crwnpt_*

Guest_crwnpt_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

• Never! Never! Borrow a suit!

Because my my cousin(who is a certified diver) told me this, "there are two kinds of divers; the ones that pee in their wetsuits, and the ones who lie about it"

#20 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

I too am looking for a wetsuit for this year. I don't plan on doing any coldwater snorkeling, but some of the mountain waters of KY can be cool even in the summer. What thickness do most of you wear?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users