breeding saffron shiner ( Notropis rubricroceus)

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_discusbram_*

Guest_discusbram_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:14 PM

Two weeks ago I had the oppertunity to buy 10 of these beautiful fish. They are eating really good and are very active. The next step is trying to get them to breed. Does anyone ever tried to breed with these fish? And what is the best way to trigger them to spawning? All information is welcome including websites.

Edited by discusbram, 13 July 2011 - 03:16 PM.

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:43 PM

Two weeks ago I had the oppertunity to buy 10 of these beautiful fish. They are eating really good and are very active. The next step is trying to get them to breed. Does anyone ever tried to breed with these fish? And what is the best way to trigger them to spawning? All information is welcome including websites.

I have not actually had them breed in captivity, but saffrons are Hydrophlox shiners and closely related to yellowfins and rainbow shiners... my understanding is that in the wild these spawn over chub nests (I often see them over Nocomis chub nests when snorkeling).
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:15 PM

Considering this is his video, I bet jblaylock will be tuning in pretty soon.

#4 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:02 PM

Considering this is his video, I bet jblaylock will be tuning in pretty soon.

Here's my two cents on breeding saffron shiners............ummm, I came home one evening and they were doing that.... No off spring produced and they haven't done that since. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

#5 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:00 PM

Like other temperate stream fishes, I wonder if you would have to simulate some sort of cooling period and reduced photoperiod. Maybe the rising tank temps triggered this spawn. Do you know what time of year they were spawning, Josh (i.e., was the house warming because of outside temps, or warming when kicking on the heat in the winter? Or was it totally random?). The only suggestion I can come up with is some sort of cooling period and when temps rise again, introduce a plate/pile of gravel in some current as a spawning medium.

#6 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:23 PM

Like other temperate stream fishes, I wonder if you would have to simulate some sort of cooling period and reduced photoperiod. Maybe the rising tank temps triggered this spawn. Do you know what time of year they were spawning, Josh (i.e., was the house warming because of outside temps, or warming when kicking on the heat in the winter? Or was it totally random?). The only suggestion I can come up with is some sort of cooling period and when temps rise again, introduce a plate/pile of gravel in some current as a spawning medium.

That was what I was thinking. That group came from VA @ the convention. The creeks were much colder than my tank. This breeding condition happened only a few days after introducting these to the tank. Must have been the warm up from the creek to my tank.

#7 Guest_reebok_*

Guest_reebok_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:15 PM

I have not actually had them breed in captivity, but saffrons are Hydrophlox shiners and closely related to yellowfins and rainbow shiners... my understanding is that in the wild these spawn over chub nests (I often see them over Nocomis chub nests when snorkeling).

Groeten Discusbram. I tend to agree with Michael Wolfe, saffrons are very closely related to rainbow shiners so I would expect very similar spawning triggers. Are yours kept indoors in unheated tanks? From experience with my rainbow shiners, keeping cool over winter certainly helps but I suspect is not essential. Mine are kept outdoors in an unheated fish house and in these conditions, assuming the females are plump with eggs, the sudden rise in air temperature during the first warm spell in spring or early summer immediately brings on spawnimg. This happens very reliably - you know it is going to happen and can plan for it! If there enough ripe females, spawning continues every few weeks during the summer each time the temperature rises a little. Spawning itself takes place over an artificial nest of a dish of coarse pebbles which makes it easy to remove the eggs for hatching in a separate tank.
Do let us know your experiences as saffrons are a species I am hoping to obtain. Veel geluck - ze zijn mooie visjes!

#8 Guest_discusbram_*

Guest_discusbram_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:15 AM

Thanks everyone for the usefull information, i'm going to give them a colder period soon so that i can raise the temperature after my holiday.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users