Florida Drainage ID

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_deftik_*

Guest_deftik_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:08 PM

My friend is vacationing down in Florida and was wondering if I could help him out with IDS naturally I thought to ask NANFA, any ideas guys its appreciated.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:57 PM

It could be a Gambusia affinis. What do you think? Here is an image of a gambusia: http://www.bio.txsta...ISH, FEMALE.jpg

You might want to suggest that your friend bring along a photo tank next time. Not only does handling the fish stress them, but it clamps their fins and hinders identification. If a gambusia is in a photo tank you can tell the gender based upon the shape of its anal fin.

Edit: It could also be a female guppy. Do they have those in Florida in the water body your friend was in? My bet would still be on gambusia because of that pointy nose.

Edited by EricaWieser, 16 July 2011 - 08:03 PM.

#3 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2011 - 08:02 PM

It's probably Gambusia holbrooki, the Eastern Mosquitofish, but like Erica said you have to look at a male's gonopodium to be really sure. It's not a big difference between them.

#4 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2011 - 08:06 PM

It's probably Gambusia holbrooki, the Eastern Mosquitofish, but like Erica said you have to look at a male's gonopodium to be really sure. It's not a big difference between them.

Oh, I just looked it up, Gambusia affinis is the more western one. Gotcha.
http://www1.broward....mpson/Frank.htm

Edited by EricaWieser, 16 July 2011 - 08:08 PM.

#5 Guest_Jan_*

Guest_Jan_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2011 - 08:56 PM

I can't believe you managed to "lip" a gambusia! Also, is that a hooked gambusia??!! What the heck sized hook is that?
Anyway - yeah, I was down in the St. Johns area of florida, and saw some rather robust gambusia, looks like the fish you have hear.

#6 Guest_deftik_*

Guest_deftik_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:33 AM

I can't believe you managed to "lip" a gambusia! Also, is that a hooked gambusia??!! What the heck sized hook is that?
Anyway - yeah, I was down in the St. Johns area of florida, and saw some rather robust gambusia, looks like the fish you have hear.

Thanks everyone I'll pass the advice along to my friend.

Jan, I gave him the hooks so I can answer that question, they are size 32, the smallest hooks made. We appreciate all types of fish and the challenge of reeling them in for some quick CPR.

#7 Guest_Doug_Dame_*

Guest_Doug_Dame_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:55 AM

Jan, I gave him the hooks so I can answer that question, they are size 32, the smallest hooks made. We appreciate all types of fish and the challenge of reeling them in for some quick CPR.

I just checked, the International Game Fish Association (IGFA) does not have a world record hook & line capture for Gambusia.

(Or, oddly, for dollar sunfish. Or any kind of darter than I can see. Opportunities abound for micro-tackle fans.)

#8 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:19 PM

LMAO about the darters.. I just caught a rainbow today on hook and line (granted he didn't hit the hook, but wouldn't let go of the worm so I grabbed him..)

#9 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:19 PM

LMAO about the darters.. I just caught a rainbow today on hook and line (granted he didn't hit the hook, but wouldn't let go of the worm so I grabbed him..)

Kentucky actually holds a state record for a Logperch (Percina caprodes) caught on hook & line.

#10 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:18 PM

Kentucky actually holds a state record for a Logperch (Percina caprodes) caught on hook & line.

You can do anything. You just need to catch and submit it. Brian Zimmerman holds the Ohio long ear record. I am growing some up to beat him! LOL!

#11 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:26 PM

You can do anything. You just need to catch and submit it. Brian Zimmerman holds the Ohio long ear record. I am growing some up to beat him! LOL!

I want to get a record for redbreast sunfish in my state as their isn't one, but the fish and game office closes on weekends when I have free time to fish.

#12 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:01 PM

I still claim the record for largest telescope shiner in Alabama...

#13 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:44 PM

I wonder if this tesselate darter is record sized, not that my state keeps records of them. It is significantly bigger than any other member of the species I have seen.

Posted Image

#14 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:59 AM

I wonder if this tesselate darter is record sized, not that my state keeps records of them. It is significantly bigger than any other member of the species I have seen.

Posted Image

i dont know....ive caught some pushing 5"

#15 Guest_Jan_*

Guest_Jan_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:37 PM

i dont know....ive caught some pushing 5"

He'll easily go 5 lbs!!!

#16 Guest_deftik_*

Guest_deftik_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:22 PM

I came across some more photos, so Eastern Mosquitofish?
Attached File  1 (5).JPG   2.49MB   0 downloads
Posted Image

Edited by deftik, 25 August 2011 - 09:27 PM.

#17 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:40 PM

Yep.

#18 Guest_pylodictis_*

Guest_pylodictis_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:40 PM

Yep.

Agreed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic