Baldwin county Alabama

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:42 PM

I have a difficult time describing this small creek since this was my first visit here. The rain the previous night was rather strong which left this creek quite high and turbid. I've driven over this creek on a few occasions. I always noticed how clear it was. I can say for certain this section of creek was predominantly sand bottom with silt in the slower sections. Undercut banks were here as well in the high water but little vegetation was to be found in this small area.

I'll start with the hardest fish (at least the fish that had me scratching my head the most).
I guess this is a Weed shiner (Notropis texanus) due to anal rays, and short snout/large eye. I could be way off here but I've not spend much time with the photos. This fish is roughly 1.75" total length.
Attached File  1_033.jpg   78.17KB   0 downloads

This next one really looks different than when we caught it. We found this fish with a powder blue lateral stripe with no color above and plain fins. I'll bet HMT321 will be surprised to see how this fish colored up. I think I'll guess this is a Sailfin shiner (Pteronotropis hypselopterus) due to the anterior rays of the dorsal fin being about equal to posterior when collapsed and the anal fin seems more sickle shaped than a flagfin should have. Only two similar looking pteronotropis exist here so I feel pretty comfortable with this ID but an experienced eye would make me feel better. This fish is roughly 1.5" total length
Attached File  1_008.jpg   29.09KB   0 downloads

This next one I'll just have to stick my neck out on. This is a rather small fish (roughly 1.25" total length). I just get the gut feeling this is a young Lythrurus. Not sure why but I do. I didn't have to look far to see this fish resembles adult Cherryfin shiner (Lythrurus roseipinnis). I hope again an experienced eye can help with this young fish.
Attached File  1_022.jpg   23.38KB   0 downloads

If I'm correct with these ID's, this will be the first time I've ever sampled any of these fish. It certainly was a lot of fun seeing them regardless of what they are but it sure would be exciting if these are all new fish for me.

Thanks for looking

#2 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:57 PM

...not much pigmentation on those last few anal fin rays, but I think it's still N. texanus.

The others are dead on. That's some fun stuff, makes me want to head back to the South...

Cheers,
Dave

#3 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2007 - 11:35 PM

that is defiantly a Sail-fin Shiner (Pteronotropis hypselopterus) I have several in my 125 gal tank at the office that i see every day, no doubt about it, i would have sworn that it was a Flag-fin shiner (Pteronotropis signipinnis) I also have a few of these in that 125 gal. defiantly hypselopterus

#4 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:10 AM

Looks like you are right on. Nice fish.

#5 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:48 AM

Nice pics Uland!

#6 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:23 AM

Well that settles it! I saw and photographed four fish new to me this visit. Thanks guys. I'm pretty darn happy now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users