Longnose Dace - Feeding?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FishheadDave_*

Guest_FishheadDave_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:31 AM

Has anyone had much success feeding longnose dace in captivity? If so, what worked?

Thanks,

Dave

#2 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:19 AM

Has anyone had much success feeding longnose dace in captivity? If so, what worked?

Thanks,

Dave

Frozen bloodworms work well.

#3 Guest_FishheadDave_*

Guest_FishheadDave_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:30 PM

Thanks...and as it turns out I just picked some of those up for my Fantail Darters this afternoon. I'll see how it goes!

dk

Frozen bloodworms work well.

#4 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:00 PM

Thanks,

Dave

They readily eat pretty much anything including flake.

#5 Guest_FishheadDave_*

Guest_FishheadDave_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2011 - 08:47 AM

Thanks for your replies.

I have a pair of freakishly large longnose dace collected recently in western Maryland - I don't know of anywhere else in this area where they get so big. They had ignored flake food since I introduced them to the tank. I attempted to feed them finely chopped squid, but this was also unsuccessful (perhaps not the most logical choice, but it was on hand).

I recently purchased frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp from a local pet store. So far, it seems like the longnose really prefer the brine shrimp, although I've seen some fleeting interest in the bloodworms. I'll try to take pictures of the tank soon (75 gal. stocked with fishes from western MD).

dk

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:58 AM

Thanks for your replies.

I have a pair of freakishly large longnose dace collected recently in western Maryland - I don't know of anywhere else in this area where they get so big. They had ignored flake food since I introduced them to the tank. I attempted to feed them finely chopped squid, but this was also unsuccessful (perhaps not the most logical choice, but it was on hand).

I recently purchased frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp from a local pet store. So far, it seems like the longnose really prefer the brine shrimp, although I've seen some fleeting interest in the bloodworms. I'll try to take pictures of the tank soon (75 gal. stocked with fishes from western MD).

dk

Try frozen mysis if you can get it... sometimes bigger fish just want to eat bigger things...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users