Photo

Seining for Cyprinella

13 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:00 PM

I seem to be having some problems seining Cyprinella minnows... I have recently been out in several situations and have seen large numbers of Cyprinella and in clear water have been able to see large colored up males... but I have had a hard time getting the larger colored up individuals into the net.

Seining upstream has been rather ineffective. Downstream runs have been more effective in the numbers of individuals, but I'm still not getting the colored up males.

So I am wondering if someone out there has any advice about techniques or equipment for capturing big strong Cyprinella in the fast water where they hang out?

I was wondering if someting like a bag seine would work better, or if I should have more slack in the seing or something?
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#2 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:17 PM

This only helps if you have a decent group, but I've had lots of luck with the double seine technique. Basically chasing fish from one seine into another and then artfully lifting. It is also the only way we seem to get jumprocks.

#3 Guest_pylodictis_*

Guest_pylodictis_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:26 PM

If you don't have others available or are in deep/swift water, or are otherwise unable to seine cast nets work great. They get a bad rep because people use too little lead and don't use fine enough mesh, if you make or have one made with the same netting as your seine you will work wonders, and stay dry to boot(somewhat).

#4 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:49 PM

I often am on my own but have always managed to get the nice Cyprinellas. First the largest seine you can handle is needed, a ten footer is one I've had decent luck with. First determine a nice pool where the target fish are or might be then have someone hold one end right on or close to the shore and you take the other side and walk steadily out across the current untill the seine is streched all out then work up stream with your end only. Once upstream as far as the seine will stretch or you reach the top of the pool or you see target fish heading down stream quickly cut across the current to the bank while the other person closes any gap between themselves and the bank. If on your own, you have to weigh down the other braille on shore with many or large rocks in the beginning. I've always planned on making a sharp metal rod with clamps to drive into the bank to hold the other braille just never got around to that. Tires you out quick but gets the job done. Key on your own is to adequately weigh down the other braille. Tying it to brush on the bank works as well.

#5 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2011 - 07:57 AM

I don't have my own seine, but I have used minnow traps effectively many times. It's the only way I can catch the faster fish. The best luck I ever had was catching mountain redbelly dace using french fries! I set the trap upstream and then walk downstream a ways to use my dip net.

#6 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:25 AM

This seems a bit obvious, but some times I have better luck when the water is a bit cloudy. Hit your target area when the water is off colored, or muddy it up a good bit intentionally, and run your net through the cloudy water. Just a thought.

#7 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:43 PM

I seem to be having some problems seining Cyprinella minnows...

What size seine are you using, and what the maximum allowable size? I was thinking 20'x4', but my memory is failing these days.

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:50 AM

What size seine are you using, and what the maximum allowable size? I was thinking 20'x4', but my memory is failing these days.

Mine is only 10 or 12 feet long... I need to check ... and I have not looked at the law recently (looked it up, 20 ft max legal length)... do you think that the longer seine would be more effective? If so, why... just for more surface area... or is there some technique associated? I've been wondering if a deeper bag would work better... keep 'em from bouncing out.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#9 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:30 PM

You just gotta be more athletic with your seine than the fish. We caught a smallmouth bass at the Flint two weeks ago, and I was deeply surprised, usually they can boogie faster than that.

#10 Guest_frogwhacker_*

Guest_frogwhacker_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:24 PM

You just gotta be more athletic with your seine than the fish. We caught a smallmouth bass at the Flint two weeks ago, and I was deeply surprised, usually they can boogie faster than that.

Wow! That's impressive. It took nearly 20 minutes to catch mine when he was confined to a 55 gallon tank to move him to the 150 gal. I didn't realize it was possible to catch one with a seine.

#11 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:05 PM

(looked it up, 20 ft max legal length)... do you think that the longer seine would be more effective? If so, why... just for more surface area... or is there some technique associated?

It helps. netmaker told me once that a bag on a seine that small would make no difference.

I find that a longer seine helps me get more more minners. Provided you have the stamina to haul it.

#12 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:21 AM

...netmaker told me once that a bag on a seine that small would make no difference.

I have to disagree with Greg on that one. A 20' X 6' bag is a very effective tool for lots of stuff that are hard to get with a standard seine... but as with most things, it depends on who you have operating it.

#13 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:32 AM

I have to disagree with Greg on that one. A 20' X 6' bag is a very effective tool for lots of stuff that are hard to get with a standard seine... but as with most things, it depends on who you have operating it.

I'm ready for you to bring it down here and show me how to operate it! I have the location... sent you an email...

#14 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:14 PM

Dave, I'm glad you said that, because a custom Mississippi sized seine with a bag is kinda my dream...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users