pirate perch?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishguy120_*

Guest_fishguy120_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:15 PM

i have never heard of this fish just recently and i wanted to know if it would be a good aquraim fish with small bullheads and if somebody could tell me where to find them o and i live in ohio. thanks

#2 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:51 PM

My experience with them is that they are very shy and reclusive. They prefer to constantly remain under cover/structure on the bottom of the tank. Even if you're bullheads are small enough that they won't/can't eat your pirate perch, they eventually will grow to a large enough size to do so. Furthermore once food is in the tank, catfish become very aggressive feeders. They actively search for other food items on the bottom while I've only ever noticed my perch snapping up food that passes by them. I had luck getting mine to take adult brine shrimp and blackworms. I've fed them mysis and thawed bloodworms but never saw them pick those items off the bottom like their tankmates did (dwarf sunfish).

Others will chime in on where you can get them. But I would not keep them with small catfish regardless of their size. Select other small, slow moving, non-aggressive, calm water fish to live with them.

Good luck
Nick L.

#3 Guest_MrCatfish_*

Guest_MrCatfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:17 PM

They are an endangered in Ohio. So possession would be illegal.They are a neat fish though.

#4 Guest_jetajockey_*

Guest_jetajockey_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:20 PM

I have kept a few of them and they spend most of their time suspended as mentioned earlier. The only time I've seen them active is when they are stalking prey.

#5 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:50 AM

I've had success keeping tadpole madtoms, central mudminnow and pirate perch together. Not a huge surprise since they are commonly found together.
Naturally observing the "fit in the mouth" rule is wise with such a predatory group of fishes. I'd say a Bullhead will grow and almost certainly eat it's tankmates.
In my opinion pirate perch are pretty easy to keep since they don't seem to require much more than a little structure and regular food. They seem to need a little training before they take pellets (sinking to be specific) but an attractive fish that isn't particularly social.

As far a legally keeping them in Ohio....You might want to check with Ohio forum members/Ohio DNR on this. It's possible Ohio recognizes subspecies and you could buy or collect from a different location to avoid legal issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users