Boss Hogs

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:38 PM

I managed to snap a picture today where both my western dollar sunfish and my warmouth were in the same frame. This tank holds 5 dollar sunfish, and 3 warmouth. These two are the largest of the bunch (both right around 4.5 - 5'') with all others around 2 - 3''. They no doubt run things in this tank and are some of my favorite fish. It was kind of nice to get a photo with both of them in the same picture, so I thought share with my fellow fishheads as well.
Posted Image

If anyone else has a good photo of their fired-up, 'boss hog' Centrarchids, feel free to add them here.

Edited by UncleWillie, 01 August 2011 - 05:39 PM.

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:37 PM

Yeah, that's good. You can see key features of both.

#3 Guest_jetajockey_*

Guest_jetajockey_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:54 PM

beautiful pic thanks for sharing!

#4 Guest_frogwhacker_*

Guest_frogwhacker_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:56 PM

Great Pic. definitely a keeper. :biggrin:

#5 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:17 PM

Wow, that's a great photo. You could even post it on ratemyfishtank.com under the category of "freshwater fish pictures" and expect it to get top marks.

#6 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:39 PM

Nice!

#7 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:56 PM

Thanks yall! I hate that the picture seems a bit grainy on the computer screen (it looked so clear on the camera screen!). I'd love to try to breed the largest male at some point, but I simply don't have the space or time at the moment. I am fairly certain the warmouth in the photo is a male based on the decent amount of gold flecks on its flanks, and elongated tips on its pelvic fins (I am not sure if that is indicative of sex though, and cannot be seen in the photo). I'm not sure I'm really ready to be doing some vent sexing since I don't plan on breeding warmouth soon. Although, I have been curious in the past few months about Basssmaster's and Centrachid's attempt to make the 'warbuck' hybrid. I'd love to see the result of that one!

Edited by UncleWillie, 02 August 2011 - 12:56 PM.

#8 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:19 PM

That really is a nice picture Willy. That could be on the cover of American Currents.
Great title too.
I also had a nice friendly Warmouth. He would always swim up and pose for me but his mouth was big and i was concerned with what his meals were made of! I caught him easily and transported him to his new home at Ranger Bobs while heading north to Virginia. Unfortunatly after sharing his new home with a Spotted Gar for a month or 2 he went to the great swimming hole in the sky. Saddness.

Greens were the first Sunfish i ever kept. Years ago a pair had some tankmates but the wee darters and minnows all disappeared at semi regular intervals. They were all kept in a well planted and decorated 29. Wary, hungry beasts, really more like bass, are these Green Sunfish. I eventually caught them by baiting Ronco's "Pocket Fisherman" and casting from my office chair. It was either that or tear down the entire aquarium.

Here is a nice Boss Hog greenie i snapped this weekend... He was quite proud.

Attached Files

Edited by Casper, 02 August 2011 - 02:19 PM.

#9 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:46 PM

RedbreastAttached File  Redbreast_sunfish_(2)_resized.jpg   157.3KB   0 downloads
Nick L.

#10 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2011 - 11:42 AM

Wow nice photos. I was considering posting my redbreast sunfish from several years ago until I saw Nick's redbreast. That thing is a beast!

#11 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:46 AM

Ya, that thing RULES the tank. Constantly digging out spawing nests, and ruining everyone's day...from other large sunfish, to gars.

Edited by littlen, 05 August 2011 - 08:46 AM.

Nick L.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users