Noturus eleutherus?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:07 PM

Attached File  Noturus eleutherus Mountain Madtom small.jpg   49.19KB   0 downloads

The above fish was found in the lower Tippecanoe R (Tippecanoe county) over a gravel shoal in roughly 6" of water.
I'm sceptically calling this a Mountain Madtom.

The below fish I'm also calling Mountain Madtom which was caught from a different location and is quite smaller than the above fish.
I was a bit more confident with the below ID at first but now, I'm questioning both ID's. Are the ID's correct and are these typical of the species?
Posted Image

#2 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:15 PM

Uland, I'm away from my books right now but Matt Thomas did a nice paper on morphological differentiation between N. eleutherus and N. stigmosus in the Ohio River drainage a while back -- you might want to email him and see if he has a PDF. Provisionally, both look like N. eleutherus, but I'd run them by Matt.

#3 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:20 PM

Many thanks Dave. Every lead of yours in matters like this has helped me learn and gain some perspective on broader issues.

#4 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:08 PM

Howdy Uland,

Here is the PDF if you don't already have it.

Blake

#5 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:01 PM

Matt agrees that both fish are N. eleutherus for a few reasons which he outlined via email and backed up with valuable documentation. I can certainly see why they are confused in the field but armed with Matt's papers and drawings, adult specimens should not often be confused with careful examination. I don't mean to say it would be easy, but with preserved fish I would have the time I'd need to make the decision.

Matt also mentioned that it's been a while since Mountain Northern Madtoms had been collected from the Tippecanoe according to his information. Thanks again for the direction and help guys.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users