North Chickamauga Creek Gorge

25 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:48 AM

North Chickamauga Creek Gorge August 2011

A fella working at the fish store i frequent told me he had seen an unusual fish at the blue hole. We have lots of blue holes and one has to inquire which blue hole is being spoke of. Familiar with the site i suggested his Cichlid was likely a Sunfish and since i had not been up there in several years, considered a return visit would make for a nice Sunday afternoon. I decided to start near the bottom and work my way up, snorkeling at every pool deep enough to lay in with the goal of photo documenting each specie i encountered.

These mountain pools are pleasing to swim in, the water is often clear as air and the boulders make architectural canyons that one can ease through exploring beyond every gap into another clear pool. Diversity is usually not much to get excited about but the beauty is often near overwhelming. I much enjoy living here in East Tennessee and these mountain gorges with their clear, cool water, rich green forests hanging along the edges and massive boulders jutting into a blue sky, make a wonderful composition to the eye.

NCC-Gorge2.JPG

NCC-Gorge.JPG

Upon entering the first pool i immediately was pleased to see a Logperch, then a pair of Creek Chubs and lots of Sunfish lingering at the edges of overhanging rocks. Bluegills were the common ones but a Warmouth hid back in the deepest shadows with his red eyes peering out to me, sometimes slowly approaching offering me a blurred photo.

NCC-CreekChub.JPG

NCC-Logperch.JPG

NCC-Warmouth.JPG

NCC-SMBass2.JPG

The next pool i was surprised to see a Yellow Perch out in the open, an uncommon species for me and yet living in these higher elevation mountain pools. I have seen them downstream in the valley and find them at a few cool spring flows regionally, but up here was a bit of a surprise. The water was very comfortable to my bare skin but in places you could feel the cold flow deep near the base of some of the larger boulders, probably providing the cooler water this species enjoys. Most of the gorge's water flows beneath the cobbled substrate and does so for a another long stretch when it reaches the valley floor. Back and higher upstream are the plateau's headwaters where strip and tunnel coal mining was performed years ago. Though care has been taken to restore the old scars the water is still acidic. However as it descends and flows through the limestone rubble and gravel the chemistry turns harder and more life flourishes in the valley flow below and beyond as it makes its way to the Tennessee River.

NCC-YellowPerch.JPG

NCC-Gorge5.JPG

I continued to work my way up through the gorge carefully stepping from one stone and boulder to the next. Years ago when i was young and limber i called it rock hopping but now i move with great caution, care and patience. I often see more by doing so and enjoy looking behind me as much as to my fore. The beauty was enchanting and i offered thanksgiving and praise for a good life and the day lived. The weather was perfect, both warm and cool at the appropriate times. I preferred to stay on the dry stones between the pools, though the submerged stones were smooth and clean, they were still slippery.

NCC-Gorge3.JPG

NCC-Holes.JPG

NCC-Split.JPG

NCC-GreenSunfish.JPG

I found another pool with a shadowed gap reaching to a pool beyond. Here all manner of Sunfish had gathered and were content to linger in the shadows. I peered in and they rushed to my face mask, Bluegills mostly, a couple larger Bass and then i could make out a cautious Rock Bass in the back. He slowly eased forward to check out the big eyed mammal and i attempted to capture him with a few clicks. Just as i would get a good still composed he would tail back to the darker shadows. A handsome Rock Bass, though lacking in any color, is quite impressive.

NCC-RockBass.JPG

NCC-Split2.JPG

As i advanced upstream i would come across a couple or a few people who had chosen a small pool for their recreation and rest site. I would ask permission to pass through and if the water was not too clouded by their activities, hope to see something new. I never found any Minnows or Shiners, not even Stonerollers, nor any other Darters beyond the 2 or 3 Logperch i encountered. I carefully observed every place water would flow out hoping to see a small school of Telescope Shiners or perhaps Sculpins or little Rainbow Darters down among the rubble and gaps. I turned a few stones here and there but there were so many potential hiding places i let them lay. As i ascended the diversity seemed to narrow and no longer did i encounter Logperch, Yellow Perch or Creek Chubs but a little further i added a pretty Longear Sunnie at one pool and then a shimmering Redbreast in another. When the sun fell just right from behind me, and the water undisturbed and clear, the sunlight would shine on the Sunfish scales and lines and illuminate them to iridescence. The camera performed well under these conditions and a few photos attest to this, however when pursuing fish and pushing back into the shadows usually yielded slow shutter speed with the resulting blurs. Flash generally was not successful, only illuminating any suspended particles and would certainly wear down my one battery.

NCC-Longear.JPG

NCC-Redbreast2.JPG

NCC-Redbreast.JPG

Between pools i navigated through the rocks and boulders and began to appreciate the various patterns found on the rock's surface created from the lichens, rock moldings and stains. It is nice to see the variety of colors that could be found on the natural gray of the stone. From the banks the flower for the day bloomed a soft lavender, the summer color of Joe Pye Weed. It made for a pretty day and every once in awhile a cool breeze would blow hinting of a thundershower somewhere, perhaps just beyond the ridgeline. I was content and paced myself, at times the sky was clouded with soft shadows and then the sun would abruptly reappear brightly illuminating the scene before me. This was especially evident while in the water and watching the ripples of light dance on the rocky substrate.

NCC-RockPattern.JPG

NCC-RockPattern2.JPG

NCC-JoePyeWeed.JPG

Coming to a larger pool i found it filled with folks, mostly Latinos, enjoying the day, and a few with masks on. At these sites fish were few and probably hiding deep in the shadows from all the activity. It was good to see others enjoying the day and the natural beauty found here, free and available to anyone so inclined. Passing through the group i slowly walked up another long stretch of dry creek bed, randomly spaced by small rivulets of water peering up through the rocky gaps. Most folks used the trails running high along the wooded edge but i enjoyed the opportunity to work my way slowly, stretching my joints and muscles through all manner of cobble and balance and boulder.

NCC-Latinos.JPG

NCC-SplitLatinos.JPG

Oddly the water began to turn greenish and i begin to see discoloration on the bank's exposed boulders. Hair algae began to be common in the gathering small pools. Just beyond the bend i could see young people jumping from a large rock formation into a long and wide pool. I watched them for awhile and then eased into the water and patrolled the perimeter looking for anything new and soon found a Redbreast ferociously defending his clean, fine graveled nest site. Any approach of my fingers would result in an outward rush and a quick nip at my fingers. He was big, menacing and though i auto responsively jerked back during the first few bites he never inflicted any pain. To his credit he was persistent and never yielded to my presence. This was his spot. Later when relaying my observations with the fella from the fish store, he told me this was the same location, color patterned fish and behavior he had seen.

NCC-Gorge4.JPG

NCC-RedbreastCruise.JPG

Driven from the nest site i relaxed in the water and talked with some of the young folks gathered about. I asked if i could check out the pool they were jumping into. It makes me nervous to see potentially crippling behavior like i myself had so often done in my youth. I dove down into the center of the area they jumped to and found it clear and free of any river booty. However to have jumped to far in the wrong direction one could strike a boulder i was now standing upon. To not jump far enough you might hit the submerged rocks at the base of the boulder. Caution was pronounced.

We talked some more and they invited me upstream to the next blue hole promising clearer water but i had spent enough time in the gorge, my legs were a bit weary from the climb, my battery exhausted, and so decided to head back downstream picking my way through the cobbled creek bed. Once i could see the trail i climbed up through the mountain laurel and eased through the trail side thicket just as a family approached. They were wide eyed at the snorkel man pushing through the dense brush and when the older man locked his eyes on mine, i asked him "which way to Arkansas?"

All together i saw in this one mile stretch...

Creek Chub
Logperch
Yellow Perch
Smallmouth Bass
Bluegill
Redbreast
Green
Warmouth
Rock Bass
Longear

All the sunfish i am familiar with except for the Redeared Shellcracker.

With sunlight still available i drove down to the valley where years ago i snorkeled regularly in the spring, this stretch being one of my sites i frequented years ago. Usually by mid summer it is bone dry but in the spring it can offer a lot of fun, diversity and clear, cold water, certainly wetsuit water. From the bridge i could see about an acre surface of water but no flow. The water appeared somewhat stagnant but not scummy and visibility seemed acceptable. With a fresh battery i climbed down the sandy bank beneath the bridge and stood at the pool's edge and watched schools of minnows racing amongst the lush mossy vegetation. Easing in, i gently laid in the water as fish began darting everywhere, life was being compressed in the shrinking pool. Clouds of silt would plume up as i pulled forward, disturbing big fish laying ahead...

Edited by Casper, 16 August 2011 - 12:27 PM.

#2 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:13 PM

I'm amazed how different S. Chick is from N. Chick. They are geographically so close, but physically SO different, for some obvious reasons.

#3 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:45 PM

What a great narration, Casper. This certainly was a pleasant read during the lunch break. So amazing that you saw all these centrarchids, but so few cyprinids.

#4 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:33 PM

Looking at the pictures I could feel the water. I'm also suprised that no cyprinids were upstream; not even stonerollers?

#5 Guest_MichiJim_*

Guest_MichiJim_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:38 PM

Beautiful. Thank you.

#6 Guest_Markart_*

Guest_Markart_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:33 AM

Many thanks, a lovely, evocative read.

#7 Guest_brasseagle6_*

Guest_brasseagle6_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:16 PM

what kind of camera do you have?

#8 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:59 PM

That is absolutely beutiful...

#9 Guest_Doug_Dame_*

Guest_Doug_Dame_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:28 PM

NANFA's Resident Wetsuit Raconteur scores again.

Thanks for sharing.

#10 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:07 AM

Very nice writeup Casper - a beautiful place indeed.

#11 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

I had intended to finish the account of the day after i headed downstream with a fresh set of batteries, but time fades and that was about a year ago. Another adventure follows in the same creek but well downstream June 29, 2012...

I have been taking advantage of urban stream snorkeling this summer. The water has been clearer, i suspect due to the lack of rain and the streams being fed by springs and underwater seeps as opposed to the typical nutrient rich run offs. Visibility can be up to 6' of late when typically one is lucky to see 2', which i jokingly refer to as grope snorkeling. Doable but only as the last option.

Yesterday i headed back to North Chickamauga Creek on a Hellbender quest, though i considered it an unlikely success. However we did find a Mudpuppy in a nice cobble run through a rocky cut, the first documentation for Hamilton County according to David. That sounds odd especially when he said that even the Common Snapping Turtle has not been documented here, what's up with that? Anyway we were pleased to come across the Mudpuppy.

01-NC-MudPuppy.JPG

Mudpuppy, about 7".

We accessed the creek just a mile or 2 below the ever flowing springhead that feeds the creek and provides a water source for the Hixson District. Not much rain has fallen in this dry summer and the flow here was near undetectable. At the access pool underneath the railroad crossing visibilty was minimal and the water deep, unappealing and greenish brown. We swam, snorkeled, then walked upstream bypassing the heavy silt and watery desert seemingly devoid of life. Man's impact could really be felt through this section. Large rocks cemented in place, silty pools, cobbled runs layered in pluming sandy dirt. Trees were jumbled and jammed and little life observed until we made our way into some shallow pools upstream. We eased into the sunlit ones, careful not to disturb the substrate into an obscuring cloud. In a calm fairly clean graveled pool i observed Striped and Warpaints Shiners, Stonerollers and Bigeye Chubs along with a few Snubnose Darters. David and i swapped pools and i crossed into a deeper log jammed pool with all the minnows unseen and replaced with predatory Sunfish, Bass and suprisingly Yellow Perch in the 70ish water. I was bareskinning it, and though was just a wee bit chilled, i felt pretty comfortable throughout the day. I have been under the asumption that Yellow Perch need cool, even cold water and perhaps there was a wellspring nearby providing that, as David attested to feeling cold deep down between the rocks he was turning.

No lurking Gar among the submerged limbs but plenty of Sunfish nests in the open stretches, the guarding males fleeing to just out of sight. Mostly Redbreasts and Longears though i also observed Redear Shellcrackers, Bluegills and Rock Bass in the pools. I pushed up into a log jam that was channeling the water through a narrow opening, exposing a long sweep of clean gravel. Here were all 3 species of local Darters gathered together, Redline, Rainbow and Snubs. A group of River Chubs and Hogsuckers stayed adjacent to the run, patient til i completed my exploration of the nooks and shadows hoping for something new.

02-NC-Jumble.JPG

The Jumbled Barrior.

From memory we saw in this stretch...

Striped and Warpaint Shiners
Stonerollers
Bigeye Chubs
Hogsuckers
Blackstripe Topminnows
Darters: Logperch, Tennessee Snubnose, Redline, Rainbow.
Yellow Perch
Sunfish: Redear, Redbreast, Longear, Bluegill, Rock, Bass.
Redhorse

A decent variety of fish surviving in this dry summer's low flow at a site heavily impacted by siltation. I suspect the downed trees may be a result of the tornados that passed through last year.

After finding and documenting the Mudpuppy we walked a bit further upstream but was met with masses of twisted jumbled log jams, a challenged advance and David needy to get back to tend his Hellbender population. Already wet and in gear i decided to head downstream to a site i recalled from years prior during a 3 day canoe trip. Driving only a mile or 2 downstream i found the crossing and the site of an old mill. I stood at the bridge and could see clarity below so quickly eased down the rugged escarpment to the water's edge. Though littered with typical bridge castoffs, lumber, tires and various twistings of rusting metal, the water was clear and a run was being directed out from beneath the cobbled stones under the bridge into a nice flowing pool. I carefully crossed, circled around and eased back up into the outflow amidst a flurry of Shiners, Minnows, Darters, Suckers and Sunfish. This is where we should have spent our full day! I could see about 6' and life was congregated into this flowing sweet spot. I could see downstream a hundred yeards to another log jam but here and upstream a bit held my attention for the next few hours. Plenty to explore, see, enjoy and attempt to photo.

Please be forgiving in quality of these images. Near all of my Olympus cameras have waterlogged and died and i have been working with their poor man's version. At times it does well but lacks quality exposures in lowlight and motion. However when the light is intense it can give somewhat satisfying images.

One of the first additions to the day's species list were Banded Darters. Though lacking in the vibrant metallic green of spring they were still handsome and well marked. This individual was accepting of my close camera work.

03-NC-Banded.JPG

Lizard like peering over the ledge.

04-NC-BandedAcrobat.JPG

The shot is not upside down, he is clinging to the mossy vegetation that they enjoy and frequent.

05-NC-BandedCamo.JPG

...and are color patterned to match.

06-NC-BandedPeer.JPG

Proud Banded.

It was a Darter party, various species gathered together at the top of the run. All hunting and peeking and pecking at unseen prey. Pushing the camera into their faces was easy, several grew accustomed to my ever closer advances.

07-NC-RedlineFemale.JPG

Female Redline on the clean swept gravel.

08-NC-RedlineMale.JPG

Inquisitive, laying smooth in the cool flow. The male was a nervous, shy fellow.

Here comes the Snubs...

09-NC-Snubby.JPG

10-NC-Snub.JPG

11-NC-SnubPerch.JPG

12-NC-SnubParty.JPG

And a male Rainbow.

13-NC-Rainbow.JPG

14-NC-BigeyeChubs.JPG

Off along the edges the Bigeye's were active grazing. A nice shot with the camera planted in place.

15-NC-Warpaint.JPG

Turning to the deep pool the Shiner and Minnows were in a constant flurry and impossible to capture though i did get this decent shot of one of the many Warpaints.

16-NC-LookingUp.JPG

I like the way this shot looks abstract like. One never knows how these shots will turn out but can be interesting.

17-NC-Trio.JPG

A bit murky but a nice composition and trio of fish... Striped Shiner, River Chub and Hogsucker(s).

18-NC-RiverChubs.JPG

A nice trio of River Chubs... note that one male still has remnants of tubercules on his head. Later, i found a mound upstream at the beginning of the cobble run.

19-NC-HogsuckerPair.JPG

20-NC-HogsuckerPair2.JPG

The Hogsuckers were big here, one or 2 probably over a foot long. Content to lay in the clean gravel unless i got to close, then darting off, only to come back in a minute or 2.

21-NC-Warmouth.JPG

I pushed off to the sides and meet this guy. At first i said Warmouth and still think so, but i saw several blandish Redear Shellcrackers during the day. Both species sport a red mark on their ears, i believe. Handsome fish nonetheless.

22-NC-Loggie.JPG

Logperch were common throughout the day and always welcome to see and observe. They seem to do well in a variety of conditions from pools to lakes to flowing water. Just give them a clean substrate and some rocks to roll.

23-NC-Mouthfull.JPG

I found a big sheet of waterlogged chipboard and turned it over. Out darted a crayfish, SNATCH a quick Bass grabbed it and then swam in circles wondering what to do next. That's a big claw hanging out!

24-NC-Barbie.JPG

I headed a bit downstream checking out the low flow vegetated banks and came across this sight. Perhaps the headless torso from Isaac's sighting last year. Close your eyes if ye are offended.

25-NC-Squirmy.JPG

Another Sunfish nest, this time guarded by a Redbreast. High color Longears would swim in but be swished away by the big Robin. When i got close i could see the nest's bottom squirming and jumping with life... it was full of twitching eggs and new fry just starting to hatch out. At the Conasauga last week i was snorkeling with a bunch of Jewish kids on a 2 week summer camp. The big event of the day was observing a Redbreast's nest and if you approached too close, braving having your finger bit. This Pappy was content to let me gently stir a few eggs in the middle, my finger unmarred.

26-NC-Daddy.JPG

27-NC-Redhorses.JPG

I swam back to the pool and meet with several Redhorses, exact species i cannot identify. They gotta be ready for fish pattie processing for an accurate ID.

28-NC-Hogsucker.JPG

A hogsucker in the shallow of the run, Snubby to his fore. A very pretty spot this was, even with the assortment of man's rusty debris and broken pottery.

29-NC-Mill.JPG

30-NC-Bridge.JPG

With your head out of the water you can see some of the old Mill's structure and then looking beyond the bridge, upstream.

31-NC-Greenside.JPG

I walked beyond and settled into another pool turned a stone and out ran another specie for the day... a now awake Greenside.

Low battery had been flashing for some time and this made for the last acceptable shot. I did continue upstream and found a nice spring... a wide clean cobbled area with cold water running through my sandaled feet. The source was from beneath the wide flat of gravel, not at one particular point i surmised. Interesting. Much more to explore during these unique conditions. Back out tomorrow with fresh batteries.

Edited by Casper, 30 June 2012 - 05:11 PM.

#12 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:32 AM

Great snorkeling report and nice images, Casper. You encountered a good variety of species. That doll is pretty creepy. My sense of scale was off when I first looked at it - I thought it was life size at first (now that would be really creepy). Anyway, I'm looking forward to more!

#13 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:44 PM

I headed back Sunday, eager to check out a site i had found while studying my topo maps. The quad map was marked with a second mill site a few miles downstream. I found a tight place to park, crossed the road, walked through the warm woods and stepped into the cooling creek just a hundred feet upstream of the bridge. The substrate was cobbled gnarly and larger rocks were covered with a feathery water moss hiding their sharp, jagged edges. Standing still i could see Darters dashing about and a big Hogsucker and Redhorse swimming beyond past a large sheltering rock. I squatted and eased my face in and turned a rock or two and soon came up with this old Crawfish, one the biggest i have held. Another few rocks and i came up with a second younger appearing model. I have no idea what species they are, perhaps Tanbacks, but always glad to see them as indicators of an active stream.

02-NC-Crayfish1.JPG

03-NC-Crayfish2.JPG

I walked under the bridge and just beyond found the old mill still standing tall among the trees, though falling apart internally. I could make out the vertical driveshaft reaching to the upper shadows and some of the gears and grindstones scattered below. In a few more years it will all collapse into a pile of stone and rotting wood and fade into the past, a memory of another era and a community's need.

01-NC-Mill.JPG

In the water below i found a variety of rusting objects and old bottles, embossed and brown, perhaps for medicines no longer found on store shelves, long since replaced with plastics. I had to be careful as many were broken and i was again bareskin and very cautious where i crawled in the shallows.

04-NC-Bottle.JPG

I decided to follow the bank downstream and then eased back into the water, crawling upstream and resting in all the pools and shallow runs to see what could be found. An old stinkpot winked at me, his head covered in tufts of mossy green unkempt hair, his aged shell as an old river stone, hidden under a layer of waving green brown algae. I winked back and passed him by and eased into a graveled run swarming with all manner of fish, including nervous red eyed Rockbass rushing to find a place to hide. I watched several flee to beneath a large stone and slowly crept my hand in when the largest darted out. Holding steady i could still feel smooth scales and cupped my hand upward and clasped a palm sized fish against the stone. I slid my hand out but the Rockbass twisted and flicked away. Again i reached my hand in and found another fishy smooth body. Being even more firm this time i clasped tighter and slowly pulled it out, eager to capture a photo of a hand noodled red eyed panfish. Dang, he too twisted away! A tighter grip is called for but i do testify to hand capturing a Jumprock up in NC and i bet Indians did too. If i was after dinner i probably would have squeezed a lot tighter!

05-NC-Turtle.JPG

I found another Rockbass hiding under a shading branch who allowed me to push my camera right up to his big red eye. The camera had been factory finished with a metallic shiny red that reflected any sunlight and I had decided that was not advantageous. Yesterday i covered the front of the camera with a matte black film. Perhaps this will aid in not frightening fish as i advance with a ever slow, stealthy smooth motion. It did seem to help during the day's attempts including this portrait of the Rock Bass.

06-NC-RockBass.JPG

I disturbed a nice well marked Speckled Darter and chased him a good bit, very nervous he was, but i finally got a decent photo of him. Some species just seem more nervous than others, but i think all respond to calm patience eventually, especially if they are not flashed with a highly reflective camera finish.

09-NC-Speckled.JPG

As i pushed back under the bridge, a nice, deep Sunfish nest appeared upstream of a gravel run. I was impressed with its depth and the center's interesting substrate. I scanned to catch a glimpse of the nest's architect but was distracted when alongside a Logperch darted and wiggled his way under a rock, then peered out. I reached behind and nudged the rock and the Loggie jumped out a bit more, wondering if he should make a run for it. He wiggled back in, another jiggle from my left hand and he would poke out again, then retreat back in. Another jiggle, back out then wiggle back in. He was in a predictament but his expression is kind of a puppy dog playful wonder. I teased him a bit more and took several photos before returning to the cobbled run. I believe the coarse graveled run was actually the remnants of a dispersed Chub mound as a male with fading tubercules had eyed me continually while i explored the various interests. Plenty of fish were present, Striped Shiners, Logperch, Stonerollers, darting Darters and a variety of Sunfish.

07-NC-SunfishNest.JPG

08-NC-LogperchPeek.JPG

As i was laying under the bridge i heard a clammering behind and twisted to see a paddling flock of Geese approaching from downstream. I eased my camera up as they began to realize that something was not quite right. The first dozen passed nervously within several feet of me while the last 2 dozen decidedly detoured over the brush pile, the last 3 or 4 geese flapping wildly as i raised my camera for a better angle. If i had been extra still perhaps i could have grabbed their paddling webbed feet Indian style!

10-NC-Geese.JPG

Satisfied that i had explored all i could at the mill i decided to snorkel and wade my way upstream for a few hundred yards. It was nice pausing in the cool water as the hot air of 103 degrees blew across my torso. This is a very intense heat wave we are now experiencing and there is no where better to be on such a day than in these living waters. Wading slowly, my steps crunched on the gnarley gravel veneered in silt as i advanced up the center of the stream, leaving behind a feathering plume of dusty brown. I could see Sunfish nests in the silty, sandy shallows to my left, with Longears and Redbreasts swimming away as i slowly approached. Scattered log jams directed the creek's subtle flow, which upon submersal offered underwater views of scowered out washes populated with Darters and schooling Shiners feeding on organisms condensed in the contouring flow. Generally, other than Sunfish, most species could only be found in such places. Long, vast stretches appeared to be unpopulated, seemingly devoid of life. This is disturbing as i can only imagine what this stream looked like before man had such an impact on it. Probably pristine clear, lush with vegetation and life abundant, active and visible.

Still though life survives and while snorkeling through one of the jams i came face to face with a massive Chub mound, just slightly off to the side, built against a pair of stacked and staggered large limbs. It was a steep pyramid, assembled from the jagged rocks i had been stepping on and stood steep as it had been made. A Redline Darter lay against the mound's side, its body contoured to the shape of the assembled stones. I circled and snapped a photo just as a Green Sunfish swam over the top while a dark Bass lurked in the jumbled shadows. I measured the mound's size with my camera's strap and it was 18" tall and double that at its widest. I could not see the value in its placement but the site was obviously favored as a major project for a very busy River Chub. I moved a few of the top stones and waited for the Chub to return and correct the alteration, but he did not appear in my limited patience. A green Rail flew overhead then landed beyond, hopping and perching along an island of creek swept branches, beckoning me further upstream.

11-NC-ChubMoundGreen.JPG

Time passed and eventually the camera battery flashed empty so i climbed the steep bank, walked back to the van.

In a dripping, brown smudged NANFA shirt and stained tattered shorts i bought a drink and granola bar. I had decided to return to Friday's site, but this time with the intension of following the creek downstream a mile to where contour lines showed a steep ridgeline. At the water's edge i picked up a sharp stone and scrawled today's date on the bridge's concrete pylon, marking a fresh adventure. Back into the water and the same fish from two days prior came into view, this time including a male Redline Darter as he went about his activity. Drifting downstream i found a blue green glass insulator to add to my collection. A log jam featured a flurry of Sunfish activity and i saw a trio of small Croppies, angel like, swim out of the tangles and then a big Yellow Perch beyond, deep in the shadows. These two new species were added to the site count. As i continued downstream a ramshackle house, several haphazard vehicles and excessive yard clutter came into view. The creek flowed right next to the house and i became uneasy if they were to see me, perhaps feeling i was intruding upon their homestead. Since the sun was getting close to the ridge line anyway i decided not to continue further on this day and instead chose to work back upstream exploring the opposing banks. A sand boil appeared and felt my theory was being confirmed with the clear cold water suplimenting to the creek's low flow and increasing the visibility. In the substrate i could feel the chill in my finger tips and while turning over a few water logged planks out jumped a Sculpin. They certainly need cool water and he had found a place to stay cool and await prey in the plank's shadow.

12-NC-NANFALogo.JPG

13-NC-Ruins.JPG

14-NC-Upstream.JPG

16-NC-RedlineFemale.JPG

17-NC-RedlineMale.JPG

15-NC-Insulator.JPG

18-NC-SandBoil.JPG

19-NC-Sculpin.JPG

I continued back upstream and eventually returned to the Redbreast Sunfish nest i had studied Friday. The fry were much more plentiful today and swimming higher above the nest. Longears would dart in attempting to feed on the tiny fry as the Male Robin persistantly defended his offspring. With the sun sinking below the ridgeline i began to experiment with the camera's flash and was pleased with the brighter colors it caught. I also began to shoot videos of the fry's activity and their guardian father. Some of the videos were acceptable and perhaps i will work on editing a collage if interest and time allows. With the flash i captured the shine of a Largemouth Bass, though perhaps it could be a Spotted, typically these big Bass hold no interest for me, eating all my favored fish. There were several larger Bass patrolling the jams throughout the day, and i presume them to be the apex finned predators of the creek. I still had not caught sight of any Gar though had hoped to find one lurking alongside the various limbs and logs. That is one predator i do admire.

20-NC-Redbreast.JPG

21-NC-RedbreastNest.JPG

22-NC-Bass.JPG

I will round out the pictures for the day with this out of focus, but wonderfully blue patterned Longear, a very blurry Redear's red ear and finally end with this interesting motion blur of a tuberculed River Chub.

23-NC-Longear.JPG

24-NC-Redear.JPG

25-NC-RiverChubBlur.JPG

Still no rain in the immediate future so i plan to continue next week to search out other local urban waters that are offering unique enhanced viewing opportunities.

Edited by Casper, 03 July 2012 - 08:53 PM.

#14 Guest_alejandro_*

Guest_alejandro_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:05 PM

Impressive post and fun to read/look at!

-Alejandro

Edited by alejandro, 03 July 2012 - 11:06 PM.

#15 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:40 AM

Another interesting trip report with some great photos. I especially like the stinkpot and logperch. You're really making me want to get out and do some snorkeling.

#16 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:56 PM

Great photos and commentary Casper.

#17 Guest_Doug_Dame_*

Guest_Doug_Dame_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:12 PM

As always, fun to read and see your px. Thanks. d.d.

#18 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

Vahry nice-ah, el Snorkelmeister!

#19 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:43 PM

Great read and some very nice fish and scenery pics. I really like the goose picture too. I know they're a common sight but I still like the looks of them and the old mill makes a nice backdrop.

#20 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:25 PM

Early July 2012. I was able to hit North Chick one more day before the rains came and ended the long drought.
This time i continued my exploring downstream, accessing it near my alma mater, Hixson HS where i had put a canoe in 20ish years ago. That was an adventure for sure, a friend and i floated the entire length of North Chick over 3 Sundays, finally ending at Chickamauga Dam and the Tennessee River. Many times we felt like first time explorers as the forest enshrouded us and then through a thinned opening we would catch a glimpse of structure and realize is was a shopping complex just beyond the trees, juxtaposing our senses. Big Blue Herons would fly ahead of us squawking like dinosaurs while snakes and turtles basked in sunbeams. As we drifted over a gravel bar I had without real intent dragged a dipnet alongside the canoe and oh my netted a small brightly colored fish. Putting it in a salvaged plastic bottle, i laid it in the cool bottom of the canoe and when returning home studied a Audubon Field Guide. What was this odd checkerboarded dot dot dash fish? I finally found a photo and there it was, a Redline Darter. And so it started for me.

CreekView.JPG

Now i am back near 20 years later and trying to get down the bouldered steep jagged riprap without breaking my old bones. The water is poolish here, and looking downstream i can see a big jam and not much but Sunfish before me. Perhaps i am too far downstream, already in the sluggish water above the reservoir, now tinged green with algae in the stagnant no flow. I proceeded upstream, breast stroking to a narrowing and sculpted rock face along the left bank, steep and tiered and with interesting sweeping forms carved by centuries of rushing water. Beyond i moved toward another log jam, its mass deflecting the low flow into a long clean swept gravel run. Along the perimeter's shadows a pod of Logperch appeared attended by a lone red tailed River Chub. Where the water flows, life gathers. Various Darters appeared in the stretch, all the ones i had seen at the various sites further upstream. The Logperch, Tennessee Snubnoses, Speckleds, Greensides, Redlines, Rainbows, Bandeds and now a handsome Dusky among the woody debris.

LogPod.JPG

DuskyRedline.JPG

Snub.JPG

A pleasing assortment, all the common Darters i am familiar with in this region. I was curious if a Snail Darter would appear as just across the Tennessee and a bit downstream the South Chick reaches the river. I began to walk as the water was too shallow, now flowing smoothly like veneer over the clean gravel. Gravel runs is what Snail Darters seem to prefer and here they were presented in full width. Ahead the creek narrowed again, cutting a tight gorge between steep banks. Working through with caution i entered into another pool and a big slope headed Drum raced nervous up and down the length trapped by the lowered water column. Another species added to my adventure. I continued on and eventually eased into sunlight, the forest canopy clearing overhead. A house sat high on the left bank, cars parked random to both sides, a yard unkempt and cluttered. I stayed low in the water easing myself forward through the narrow gap and soon felt the shivering rush of cold water flowing around me, instantly chilling my skin. Looking ahead, the clear water rippled crazy in the light. I reached forward and down into a sharp crevase running long and the cold was intense. This and other intrusians is what was keeping this creek alive and flowing. I reached again into the crevase and found an old glass bottle, textured like a pineapple, tapering in the middle. I could make out lettering embossed on the sides and with a bit of rubbing... DOUBLE-STRENGTH, twice around the top, then through the tapered middle SUGAR SUGAR and encircling the bottom BEVERAGE BEVERAGE.

Interested i began to explore the immediate area, ignoring the dog barking from alongside the house, and walked the bank where i could. A cold seep feed the stream from the right, my feet sinking deep into the soft sand. After checking a bit upstream i eased back in and slide downstream back towards the cold fissure marveling at the shimmering mirage the conflicting temperatures made in the flow. Just beyond the fissure i caught a glance of a pearly sided fish racing to and fro, a Striped Shiner, still looking prime, and using this cold water as a spawning site. Beneath him stones had been gathered and this day, way late in the season, here he was still counting on some fishy sexual activity.

Striped.JPG

Clams.JPG

I continued upstream, rounding a bend and came to a deep pool blocked beyond by a massive log jam. With my mask back on every manner of Sunfish and Bass were gathered in the shadows, even a fleeting glimpse of a Redhorse or Sucker. To murky for my satisfaction i desired to advance but the jam was complete and high to both banks. I studied a bit, gathered my breath and pulled myself down and through thinking it was clear just beyond but found myself having to clammor further to clear the branched mass overhead. Not a safe endeavor and i was reminded of caution in any future attempts.

The day was getting shadowed and i had probably advanced a mile or so upstream of my access point. Still a creek always beckons you further and so i followed a few more twists and turns, checked out several pools and settled into another, eager for something new. A steep mass of gravel had been swept in from a shallow branch entering from the left. Pushing my fingers in i could feel cold water flowing through, telling of another spring. Climbing out i walked up the branch, cold water and gravel in my sandals but after several paces the water warmed. Hum, back down and to the right was a shadowed pond filled with debris, leaves and such, here was the source of the cold but unappealing to wade into and explore beyond the treeline. Contemplating i went back to the main stream and in the warmer water continued upstream but soon faced another jam. Far enough for this day i decided and returning to the confluence i saw a man walking down the branch i had only recently walked up. "Can i get that cooler?' he pointed to a washed up, beat up plastic cooler. "Aint no lid on it." i replied and so began an interesting conversation of fish stories, creek wades, recipes and found oyster mushrooms. I also know the cold water's source is a deep spring a couple hundred yards upstream of the main channel and set back in the woods several paces. Another day as the shadows were pronounced and i headed back, bypassing the perilous log jam and retrieving the mystery bottle.

ShadowedLoggie.JPG

When the shadows set in Logperch take on a saddled pattern. And i also note those intricate Trimary lines that are confounding me in a different watershed. Much yet to learn!

I did discover while using the wonder of the internet that the barrel textured mystery bottle was the precursor of Chattanooga's Double Cola brand, an icon of the South.

Bottle.JPG

Delicious? Perhaps to live in another time when one could hear "How about passing me another one of those Double Strength Sugar Beverages."

Edited by Casper, 09 August 2012 - 01:29 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users