Plant Pruning

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mshi_*

Guest_mshi_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:12 AM

As you can tell by this question I am new to aquatic plants. I have a 75 set up using the low tech Walstad method with locally collected plants (Northeast PA). I am 6 weeks in and the plants are growing very well. I think that I should start pruning soon. Things are going well and I don't want to risk damaging the plants so are there any pruning dos and donts I should know about. I "think" I have the plants ID'd as Starwort, Watercrest, Elodea, and Ludwigia. As a test I pruned a top section of the Elodea and replanted the cut top. The top seems fine but the remaining bottom doesn't look well. The bottom is also sending out long thread like runners from the cut area. Is this normal.

#2 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:54 PM

As you can tell by this question I am new to aquatic plants. I have a 75 set up using the low tech Walstad method with locally collected plants (Northeast PA). I am 6 weeks in and the plants are growing very well. I think that I should start pruning soon. Things are going well and I don't want to risk damaging the plants so are there any pruning dos and donts I should know about. I "think" I have the plants ID'd as Starwort, Watercrest, Elodea, and Ludwigia. As a test I pruned a top section of the Elodea and replanted the cut top. The top seems fine but the remaining bottom doesn't look well. The bottom is also sending out long thread like runners from the cut area. Is this normal.

elodea does that just weak roots to suck out nutents(really bad speller)

#3 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:07 PM

You can prune all of those plants EXCEPT for the watercress by simply trimming off the tops. The trimmings can also be replanted if you wish. If the bottoms look scraggly to you, you can gently pull them out and replace them with the trimmings.

#4 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:57 PM

In my 125 planted tank, i trim off plants about mid tank and they seem to bud out from the cut point, my vals i just mow off at the water level

#5 Guest_mshi_*

Guest_mshi_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2007 - 06:58 PM

You can prune all of those plants EXCEPT for the watercress by simply trimming off the tops.

How do I prune the watercress?

#6 Guest_TFD_*

Guest_TFD_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2007 - 11:46 PM

I just logged on to post a question about pruning hornwart and saw this post. I purchased some hornwart at my lfs. Assuming it does well, I want to prune it as it grown and replant -gradually replacing the fake plants in my tank. Will that work? should I prune from the top or the bottom or does it matter?

46 gallon with 2 warmouths 2 more will be added soon

#7 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2007 - 06:37 PM

I just logged on to post a question about pruning hornwart and saw this post. I purchased some hornwart at my lfs. Assuming it does well, I want to prune it as it grown and replant -gradually replacing the fake plants in my tank. Will that work? should I prune from the top or the bottom or does it matter?

46 gallon with 2 warmouths 2 more will be added soon

I let my hornwort grow out and cover the top of the tank but what you said would work to

#8 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2007 - 11:49 AM

Hornword (Ceratophyllum demersum) is an interesting plant in that it hardly ever puts out roots. (It can happen, but I think I've only ever seen it once or twice).

You can treat it as a rooted plant, though, but cutting of the tops of stems and burying the bottom of it in the substrate. The leaves will hold it in place for a while, but will eventually rot and the stem will float up. but there is no problem doign it if you like the way it looks coming out from the substrate and you don't mind re-anchoring it.

It is an excellent nitrigen user, and will grow pretty quickly. People often let it float on the top and use it as cover for fry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users