Brown algae

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NCNativeFish_*

Guest_NCNativeFish_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2011 - 12:24 PM

So my 55 gal stream tank has a fairly healthy growth of brown algae coating the insides. It isn't on the glass, but its on the filer intake and all the rocks on the bottom and the side, as well as the one plastic driftwood piece I have in there. Any suggestions on getting rid of this outside of taking a toothbrush to every single rock lining the bottom of the tank? I think what might've caused it is I had the black-out curtain right beside that tank off for a day and from what I remember, the problem happened pretty much that and the next day. I did get a pleco recently and that might be what is keeping the glass clean. Thoughts?

#2 Guest_dmarkley_*

Guest_dmarkley_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:07 PM

So my 55 gal stream tank has a fairly healthy growth of brown algae coating the insides. It isn't on the glass, but its on the filer intake and all the rocks on the bottom and the side, as well as the one plastic driftwood piece I have in there. Any suggestions on getting rid of this outside of taking a toothbrush to every single rock lining the bottom of the tank? I think what might've caused it is I had the black-out curtain right beside that tank off for a day and from what I remember, the problem happened pretty much that and the next day. I did get a pleco recently and that might be what is keeping the glass clean. Thoughts?

I've had this and found out it wasn't algae but diatoms. I used a phosphate remover placed inside my filter. Once the phosphate was gone, the diatoms disappeared.

#3 Guest_NCNativeFish_*

Guest_NCNativeFish_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:05 PM

I've had this and found out it wasn't algae but diatoms. I used a phosphate remover placed inside my filter. Once the phosphate was gone, the diatoms disappeared.

I actually have a phosphate remover in my filter. I've done my homework. I brought my problem to this community because its been about a week and a half and while it isn't getting any worse, it isn't getting any better. Any other suggestions?

#4 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2011 - 09:59 PM

From what I understand, brown algae, for the most part, only exists in saltwater in the form of kelp and the like.

Edited by Yeahson421, 28 August 2011 - 09:59 PM.

#5 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:00 AM

Diatoms are a brown algae.

How old is your tank? Diatoms are typically more troublesom in new tanks. Did you change anything other than blacking out the back, like adding a new substrate?

In low-light, non planted tanks, I just let the diatoms be, with occasional glass cleaning. I think it made things look more natural, but I may not have had as much of it as you. If you look at rocks in shady streams, they often have a thin brown coating.

#6 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:05 AM

Add some stonerollers! They'll scrape it right off and keep it 'clean' to a degree.

Also, just flip the rocks, exposing the clean underside. While it doesn't remove the source of the problem, it does kill the algae very quickly and keeps you from having to scrub each rock and making the water cloudy.
Nick L.

#7 Guest_NCNativeFish_*

Guest_NCNativeFish_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:42 AM

Diatoms are a brown algae.

How old is your tank? Diatoms are typically more troublesom in new tanks. Did you change anything other than blacking out the back, like adding a new substrate?

In low-light, non planted tanks, I just let the diatoms be, with occasional glass cleaning. I think it made things look more natural, but I may not have had as much of it as you. If you look at rocks in shady streams, they often have a thin brown coating.

This tank has been running for probably 5-6 months, so I wouldn't call it new. I haven't added new substrate, but there is one plant in there. And when the light bar that came with the tank when I bought it used went out, I went and got new bulbs for it. Its pretty well lit. I certainly don't mind a little bit, scattered around, but when it builds up to the point that it starts to look fuzzy that kind of ruins it for me.

Add some stonerollers! They'll scrape it right off and keep it 'clean' to a degree.

Also, just flip the rocks, exposing the clean underside. While it doesn't remove the source of the problem, it does kill the algae very quickly and keeps you from having to scrub each rock and making the water cloudy.

I hadn't thought of stonerollers. I see them all the time but they often find a way to avoid my net. The ones I do catch I usually put back because they aren't as colorful, but having one or two in there for that specific purpose wouldn't hurt. They're certainly prettier than the creek chub I have. I'll try flipping some of the rocks over. Its better than nothing.

#8 Guest_NCNativeFish_*

Guest_NCNativeFish_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:45 AM

From what I understand, brown algae, for the most part, only exists in saltwater in the form of kelp and the like.

You are absolutely right. Brown aquarium algae isn't technically algae. Definitely learned all about kelp in my biology class last year. Shows you how much I well I retain information :)

#9 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:56 AM

You are absolutely right. Brown aquarium algae isn't technically algae. Definitely learned all about kelp in my biology class last year. Shows you how much I well I retain information :)

Are diatoms not within Phaeophyceae any more? I know they were working on diatom phylogeny, but I admit I haven't followed it closely.

#10 Guest_NCNativeFish_*

Guest_NCNativeFish_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:02 AM

Are diatoms not within Phaeophyceae any more? I know they were working on diatom phylogeny, but I haven't followed it.

Don't hold me to anything I say regarding plants or algaes. That topic is way outside of my realm of knowledge. After looking it up, apparently, diatoms are a major group of algae (Bacillariophyceae), but 'brown algae', or kelp, are in the class Phaeophyceae.

#11 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:14 AM

Don't hold me to anything I say regarding plants or algaes. That topic is way outside of my realm of knowledge. After looking it up, apparently, diatoms are a major group of algae (Bacillariophyceae), but 'brown algae', or kelp, are in the class Phaeophyceae.

Oh, that's right. They are in Bacillariophyceae. Both Phaeophyceae and Bacillariophycea are heterokonts.

Diatoms are a bit of an enigma and I expect they will be shuffled around a bit as DNA/RNA relationships are better refined.

#12 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:18 PM

Like most fish, you're not going to get a 'colorful' male stoneroller year round. They are a drab fish in comparison to most darters and shiners. But what they lack in coloration, they more than make up it with their antics. Let's face it, most people keep plecos in their tropical community tanks...and they are not really colorful at all (Hypostomus plecostomus). And in my experience, they can't hold a candle to Stonerollers in their ability to control algae.
Nick L.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users