Blue River bivalve

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_greenneck_*

Guest_greenneck_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:58 PM

Found in Crawford county, Indiana today. Finger in photos gives scale.
If just an asiatic clam, forgive me; first post and mussel illiterate.Attached File  DSC00963.JPG   887.87KB   0 downloads

Attached Files

#2 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:51 PM

Wavyrayed Lampmussel - Lampsilis fasciola. Asiatic clam will have concentric raised rings on their shell.

That's a nice river down there. Made my first visit there last fall, would like to get in there again.

Todd

Edited by farmertodd, 29 August 2011 - 08:53 PM.

#3 Guest_greenneck_*

Guest_greenneck_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:25 AM

Wavyrayed Lampmussel - Lampsilis fasciola. Asiatic clam will have concentric raised rings on their shell.

That's a nice river down there. Made my first visit there last fall, would like to get in there again.

Todd

thanks todd. now i need to study up on range, rarity, etc.

#4 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:41 AM

What you'll really want to do is get a view bucket of some sort put together and go back and watch these things try and infect bass with their mantle lures. Should be starting again here in the next few weeks. It'll look like a weird bug dancing on the substrate.

Viewers can be made of something as simple as plexiglass siliconed to the bottom of a 5 gal bucket that has the bottom cut out. Place the plexi on the outside so that water pushes it again the bucket. Leaving it square isn't a problem either... The edges can make nice hydrologic accelerators to pull away mulm and so forth so things are more viewable.

Also make sure you leave material at the stream (as much as I hate saying this)... Indiana is one state where you don't mess around with mussels.

Todd

#5 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:53 AM

What you'll really want to do is get a view bucket of some sort put together and go back and watch these things try and infect bass with their mantle lures. Should be starting again here in the next few weeks. It'll look like a weird bug dancing on the substrate.

I wish I could see that in person! It looks cool in pictures. Article: http://www.bogleech....clampirism.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users