Pop ups

13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bdgardner_*

Guest_bdgardner_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:40 PM

I'm having a bear of a time getting logged in without having to opt-in for some spam. I moderate other forums, and I politely suggest there's much better ways for NANFA to monetize their forum without this annoyance. Is there any way you can disable the pop-ups so I'm not caught in the never-ending loop?

#2 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:03 PM

I have ZERO pop-ups and never see anything to do with spam or anything related. Could you have a virus or something. I'm fairly certain NANFA does not monetize this forum.

#3 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:09 PM

I have also never seen a pop up nor have I heard of anyone else that has. Also, Josh is correct. NANFA makes no money off of the forum. It actually costs us money via hosting and upgrade fees.

#4 Guest_RichardSFL_*

Guest_RichardSFL_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:29 PM

I sometimes get one also. It tells me this site won't admit me until I click on the pop-up. I get past it by closing it. It happens only when I use my PC not when I use my iMac. It hasn't happened to me in a couple of weeks.

#5 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:31 PM

My firefox browser blocks all popups with ABP, but even when I'm on internet explorer (which does not have a spam blocker on it), I never see any popups. What browser are you using, bdgardner?

Edited by EricaWieser, 13 September 2011 - 05:32 PM.

#6 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:58 PM

I'm no techie, but I think you might have some spy/malware that needs addressing.
I use this forum on both IE and Firefox on several computers without ever seeing advertisements (much less those annoying pop-ups).

#7 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:25 PM

I'm no techie, but I think you might have some spy/malware that needs addressing.
I use this forum on both IE and Firefox on several computers without ever seeing advertisements (much less those annoying pop-ups).

Ditto. I've never seen that happen. And I don't think Drew would have the forum set up like that (he will have to chime in). I would suspect my machine if it started happening to me.

#8 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:32 PM

The word is, malware. Get the free version of Malwarebytes to get rid of it.

#9 Guest_LincolnUMike_*

Guest_LincolnUMike_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:38 PM

Agree with Uland. I have had no pop up issues using IE or FF. I use a blocker with FF but the IE would have popped up if it was linked to this forum.

Consider d/l MalwareBytes (it's freeware scanner if you do not opt for the real time scan, but use it as an on-command scanner) located here:

http://www.malwareby...alwarebytes_pro

Do an update when you get it in order to get the latest threat scan. Then run the scan. It's easy to use. Run it on a regular basis (how often? depends on how often you surf the net and what kind of sites you visit).

I also would suggest downloading CCleaner. It will clean up your cookies and cache easily. It is also freeware and an excellent product. You can get it here:

http://www.piriform....leaner/download

Click the free option and d/l. I d/l from Piriform as this is the producer, but FileHippo is just as good.

Mike

***Note: MalwareBytes and CCleaner are freeware and I am in no way associated with these products other than a user.

#10 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:49 PM

Actually, it is a problem we've had before. Damn spammers inject code into the forum's cache. When you reach the forum from a Google search, it redirects you to bad sites. I thought I had fixed this but they found somewhere else to put it.

The developers of the software are aware of this issue and have fixed it in the latest release. I'm waiting until that release is stable before upgrading as they've had two updates since release already.

The problem should be resolved. Please let me know if you run into it again.

#11 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:33 AM

Actually, it is a problem we've had before. Damn spammers inject code into the forum's cache. When you reach the forum from a Google search, it redirects you to bad sites. I thought I had fixed this but they found somewhere else to put it.

The developers of the software are aware of this issue and have fixed it in the latest release. I'm waiting until that release is stable before upgrading as they've had two updates since release already.

The problem should be resolved. Please let me know if you run into it again.

You have GOT to be kidding me! I am surprised at what lengths people go to advertise....and sorry about the accusations of an infected rig bdgardner.
Drew, if I'm not mistaken....bdgardner can bookmark a good link and be free of this trouble?

#12 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:59 AM

You have GOT to be kidding me! I am surprised at what lengths people go to advertise....and sorry about the accusations of an infected rig bdgardner.
Drew, if I'm not mistaken....bdgardner can bookmark a good link and be free of this trouble?

Yeah, if you come straight to the forum, it isn't an issue. I haven't tried the other search engines but in the past it was just Google for some reason.

#13 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:28 PM

Im pretty confused, and am easily so on computer issues. I may understand now but wonder why our visitor, one who is experienced, did not get around this problem in the early stages. I have this site and others established as a direct link in my favorites. I dont go through Google unless i am hunting stuff.

I never have any popups or issues coming to the forum or NANFA's website. Sometimes it is down but rarely. We have seen a couple spamming type posts but those are nipped in the bud pretty quickly.

A bit of warning though... several months ago i was tracking down a naked woman and was slammed with something terrible. My NO clicks were actually trickery YES clicks and my system was slammed, flashimng signals, lights, sounds, warnings, freeze, please STOP. I finally had to call in my tech and i think most of my software is ok but the system is now very sluggish and at times will not shut down without holding in the start button for 7 seconds. Also the starts / reboots can take several several minutes and sometimes during startup it will just lock.

It could be Norton, or maybe something remaining but re-installing ALL my software would be a major ordeal and something that i dread.

There are some mean people in the computer world... i wish we could sabotage their systems for ever.

#14 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:38 PM

... several months ago i was tracking down a naked woman ...

Lord, I don't think I wanna know!!! :shock:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users